Name of the snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayalasylvain

Reaction score
7AED48AA-BD1B-4C71-98CA-8FC804374DEC.jpegF66BBCC9-CC6C-4150-9424-E7F5FAAD4054.jpeg

Please can someone tell me what snake is that?? I am from France and I actually don’t know very much australian snakes :)

It is a Keelback, Tropidonophis mairii, a non-venomous snake that is usually found in or near water, as its favourite food item is frogs. I base this ID on the pattern of the body markings, the presence of rostral scales (scales separating the post ocular from the nasal scales), and the dark margins of the upper labial scales. I have little doubt that it would have been located in the vicinity of a substantial body of water. Please correct me if that if that is wrong.

PS Thanks for the very clear shot of the head region. That made it easy to provide a positive ID. While this snake is harmless, thers is a very similar looking species called the Rough-scaled snake, which is quite venomous and found in similar areas. So please don't pick a similar looking snake thinking it is non-venomous. It may not be!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back