Nan found a turtle on her driveway šŸ˜‚

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElapidHooks

Reaction score
Hey folks, haven't been on here in a hot minute haha. I got a message from my nan yesterday about this turtle she found on her driveway. She lives in ningi QLD near a big lake system (sandstone lakes) that i think it might have come from during the floods but I'm not 100% and I'd rather get someone with more experience to help out if possible. Just looking for advice on what to do and whether or not to release I myself.

It looks to be a saw shelled turtle (from my unprofessional view)

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm a wildlife relocator and get a few turtle calls and drop off's at this time of the year. Generally they know exactly where they are going, like pythons, elapids etc they have preferred summer and winter haunts that they prefer or as you already mentioned it might be displaced by all the water or even more likely their main food supply has been washed away.
They move around quite a bit over land, we have quite a few moving out of the rainforest ponds at work atm and crossing the road to the next waterway that's more open and gets the eastern sun in the morning.

Cheers mate! I reckon chances are it got flushed through a drainage pipe of sorts and ended up at her home. I'll go down tomorrow sus the location out and release him at that lake behind her house (pretty much the only fresh body of water in that area so likely where he came from). Thanks for the info mate, have a good one šŸ‘

Hey mate, that's a common saw-shelled turtle - Wollumbinia latisternum. It can be released anywhere within 20km of where it was found.

Latest posts

Back