Narrow-banded Shovel Nosed Snakes (pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall

Reaction score
Just got back from a weekend get away up in the Cervantes area and found this good looking Narrow-banded Shovel Nosed Snake and thought I might share a few pictures with you.
The night temps were not as good as I thought they would be and the land was bone dry (70+ days without a drop of rain).
If you have any pictures of any type of shovel nosed snakes, posts the pictures up.

Attachments

• wild herps 033.jpg
    wild herps 033.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 175
  • wild herps 037.jpg
    wild herps 037.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 150
  • wild herps 047.jpg
    wild herps 047.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 171
  • wild herps 050.jpg
    wild herps 050.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 220
looks like a chubby little thing!!
love the pattern!! :p

Nice pics did you see much else I haven't been up that way for a while.

Wow that is a fat momma! Nice one, this is one i found in Lajamanu. We decided it was a northern shovel nose. (dodgy pics taken on a mobile)

11032009110.jpg

11032009109.jpg

and i found this one in the same week but about 900km away in Boroloola, obviously dead. Also a northern.

26032009206y.jpg

26032009210y.jpg

I wouldn't say she is gravid as it was not the best type of conditions for breeding, but saying that I am not 100% sure when they breed. It was in fact a she as well.

We did see a few geckos (Barking Geckos and velvets) in a big cave we went through (a few bats as well) and a really underweight bobtail that only from the looks of it had skin and bone left on it, so that goes to show how dry and lack of food there is up there at the moment.

Nice looking snake you found waruikazi, ashamed about the dead one from the looks of it, it would have been a good looking one!

Thanks Niall,

Do you guys ever come across butleri in your herp trips, if so any pics????

They are the only two i've ever found but apparently the 2nd one is quite a common colour for the northenr parts of the NT. According to the Wilson and Swan the species may consist of several sub-species which could explain why the one out of Lajamanu looks so different.

Hey mate,
butleri are found more inland and I have not been that far North/East into WA yet.
I have to get out there sooner or later. ;)

Just 3 more pictures.

Attachments

• wild herps 062.jpg
    wild herps 062.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 74
  • wild herps 066.jpg
    wild herps 066.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 70
  • wild herps 067.jpg
    wild herps 067.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 66
Just couple of photos from recent trip.