nasty looking thick tailed gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickGeee

Reaction score
checking on my female thick tailed this morning i found a frightening looking wound on her head. i have since separated her from the male in a separate enclosure. any ideas on what has caused this? what course of action should i take?
thanks.
thicky.jpg

I had the same thing happen a few years ago, after seperating and reintrouducing a couple of times, i caught another female thicky cornering her and chewing the skin off her head!!
I kept her seperate for 2 years and introduced her back in a few months ago and everything is ok so far.

you could clean it with diluted chlorhexidine and keep her seperate.

Sorry not much of a gecko man but from the pic looks like possible rubbing damage or a burn of some kind... Someone else may be able to help more but just thought I would start the thought process as to what I could be.

What are temps, substrate, hides made from? More info the better but anything come to mind with any of these questions?

Cheers, Matt

I had the same thing happen a few years ago, after seperating and reintrouducing a couple of times, i caught another female thicky cornering her and chewing the skin off her head!!
I kept her seperate for 2 years and introduced her back in a few months ago and everything is ok so far.

you could clean it with diluted chlorhexidine and keep her seperate.
Thanks, will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry not much of a gecko man but from the pic looks like possible rubbing damage or a burn of some kind... Someone else may be able to help more but just thought I would start the thought process as to what I could be.

What are temps, substrate, hides made from? More info the better but anything come to mind with any of these questions?

Cheers, Matt
I wouldn't say burn, nor substrate or temps. It MIGHT be the terracotta hides, yet I have used them with knobbies and various other geckos without a hitch

Good to hear that you can rule those things out. I was just starting the thought process as to what It could be. Chris1 could be right having had experience with it before. Have you seen any aggression between the geckos before? Separation and treatment will be the best thing for it at this stage. Hope you find out the cause and can work out how to eliminate it. Good luck

Cheers, Matt

I would be with Chris on this one that it was most likely caused by a house mate. Separate for the time being. I like using a product called Solosite. Found at the chemist it is a soothing, hydrating and healing gel for minor burns, sunburn, cuts and grazes.

Hey Nick, this was the exact same problem I had with my thick tails, the first few nights everything was fine, then after 2 weeks or so, Luna the female had this same problem on her head, I then separated them, now luna is doing very well, and the sore on her head heeled fine (after a few sheds) ;) it's a territorial thing a reckon. I haven't put them back together and I don't think I will for a while yet, just so it doesn't happen again.

Hey Nick, this was the exact same problem I had with my thick tails, the first few nights everything was fine, then after 2 weeks or so, Luna the female had this same problem on her head, I then separated them, now luna is doing very well, and the sore on her head heeled fine (after a few sheds) ;) it's a territorial thing a reckon

Thanks Sean, didn't notice it till today, Im keeping her in a different setup for the meantime

Thanks guys, I tried the solosite on her worked a treat.
Well, she passed away this evening. She was starting to eat and just was about to shed. RIP.

Sorry to hear about your loss, never nice to lose something you have been working for... Here is to many more in the hobby...

Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back