Need advise for giving an indoor Water Dragon some more water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRamiRocketMan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for some collective advise as to how to provide a water dragon with a larger water feature. Currently the dragon is 6 months old and just using a small container for the water area. It works for now but soon enough he'll grow out of it.

This is the current setup:

The floor space is 1800mm x 900mm (6' x 3') and the bottom section is 44mm (1.5') high. Issue is the support structure intrudes a bit so any large water feature going in here can't be quite that wide.

I want to install a water area that is deep and long, so when the dragon is older he'll still be able to completely submerge and swim, but I'd also like a bit of land area. I could just throw a large fish tank in there but I think that'd look ugly not to mention expensive. I'd need a way to raise the ground to the same level as well, has anyone done something like this?

I've also looked into pre-formed ponds, but they require support from underneath. I could fill the whole thing with soil but that'd be about 700L of soil which would be a nightmare to get in and out of the enclosure. I have a spare preformed pond from bunnings in the garage (this one I believe) which just fits but it has the same support issue.

To summaries, I'm looking for a way to support a water feature and simultaneously raise the substrate to the same level so it looks nice. Any advise would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Perhaps an old bathtub? It might fill the space better, and you might be able to do a rockwall effect with some expanda foam on the outside?

Create a false floor just below the height of the pond you have, cut a hole to let it drop in, seal the false floor, silicone the gap and then use a shallow layer of substrate on the false flloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back