need help deciding what size tank to go for Knob tailed male and other stuff

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

critterguy

Reaction score
Hey all, I'll be getting a male pilbara region smooth Knob tailed gecko soon and am trying to decide which spare tank to put the bud in.

I have available a 36cmx23cm one, 2ft and 3ft ones, all have lids with flyscreen on them (I know, not necessary but already had them from keeping other critters that can climb in them).

Also, read that 32 degrees is the recommended temp for a heat pad for the buds, some say to put it under the tank, others say about 1 cm under the sand to heat that end.
Which would be better and is it necessary for here, it's already normally in the 30's most of the year here except winter.

Not sure about the night temps though, will check those during the week to see what they are to see if it is high enough to not need the heater.
It will be kept in a room that I fully open the loovers and curtains in daily and close at night to provide a breeze, daylight and better ventilation during the day except in winter or when raining heavily (open a little/none then).
When I can't open the room up due to going out for ages etc, they get the ceiling fan on if it's hot enough to need it.

Other than that the rest of the info seems consistent, mistspraying intervals etc.

I would go either of the 2 smaller ones for the tub.
I would never put a heat mat inside an enclosure as if it malfunctions the reptile may be injured outside is always the safest option imo

Here are some of my setups for knobbies
7apy8u2y.jpg
vazysu3a.jpg

Thanks, so under the 2ft tank with low amount of sand that end, guess the native roach colony is getting moved into a different enclosure.

Thanks for the pics Nick, already got the sand, just need to wash it a few times and need to make some hides.

just buy fresh sand from bunnings $6 washed play sand! dont put the mat in the tub! as long as night temps stay above 25 its fine. i keep mine on 32-33 during the day and it drops to around 29-30 during the night. although a thing to keep in mind, ive had 2 babies die on sand (last week)! so make sure his atleast 1-2months old before he goes on sand!

- - - Updated - - -

from eating sand**

Thanks, the bud is above 2 years old, so should be alright on the sand front, I'll set up the enclosure and my thermometer+hygrometer to see what the night temps will be before I get the bud.

just buy fresh sand from bunnings $6 washed play sand! dont put the mat in the tub! as long as night temps stay above 25 its fine. i keep mine on 32-33 during the day and it drops to around 29-30 during the night. although a thing to keep in mind, ive had 2 babies die on sand (last week)! so make sure his atleast 1-2months old before he goes on sand!

- - - Updated - - -

from eating sand**

Really! Many breeders keep em on sand, no issues here with under 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back