Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Reaction score
Hey.

I'm really wanting a sand monitor but I want to be able to handle it and take it out lots, is this I good idea? I have no experience with keeping monitor only experience handling monitor while volunteering at zoos
I just want a really good monitor for a first monitor that I can handle and show people.
I have a 2300 x 700 x 700 custom enclosure with heating a lighting
I just really need help deciding if this monitor is the correct choice? And also any tips that might help with care , handleing, "tameing"

Thanks.

Usually with reptiles people will tell you to pick the one you want and research about it and its care. With monitors, it"s a bit different. If that is the only time you have had contact with a larger monitor, I would recommend going out and handling more, whether at shops, or other keepers' houses, or expos.
In terms of handling, sandies aren't the worst, but some can be quite "difficult". With monitors, you will always have the risk of being scratched or bitten; this is why handling experience is important. A smaller monitor might be the go, like an ackie. With time and patience, they can be handled well. Or if you really want a larger monitor, get a flavirufus instead of a "normal" sandie. From my own experience and from speaking to ther keepers, they seem to be better than straight sandies.
And most importantly, get Danny Brown's book, "A Guide to Australian Monitors in Captivity".

Darren pretty much summed it up. I will add that monitors seem to be very moody. Even the most tolerant specimen will have their off days, and really the only way to learn to read your animal and their moods is by trial, error, a mountain of time spent with your individual animal (they're all individuals, like any animal really) and likely a few boxes of band-aids, some foul language and a ton of patience and perseverance.

You may find that an animal you chose will be a right peach, or it may simply never see eye to eye with you, ever. I have two gouldii flavirufus at my house, one is a total darling and very predictable and tolerant, and the other is a complete loon the minute he thinks there might be food. My straight sandy, well good luck with that guy....

An alternative to sandies in the large monitor department could be a Mertens water monitor. Almost as long, a little more robust, and they're known for often having a slightly more agreeable temperament, with proper interaction. My large male is nothing more than a naughty, scaly puppy dog although I can't take credit for rearing him, @pinefamily did a marvellous job there.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Alex.
Handling combined with interaction at the enclosure door so that the monitor can see you and hear your voice helps a lot. As Smitti says above, patience is the key.
Mertens, or even a Spencers, might be a better option for a first larger monitor. Both have better temperaments overall, but each animal is an individual when it comes to handling.

I might also add that you really need to allow any monitor to be comfortable with you, prior to handling!

A hatchy monitor believes everything is going to eat it and will be fairly sketchy until it gains some size. And as such, confidence. Start off slow with tong feeding and slowly introduce yourself by allowing the monitor to climb onto your arm to get to the tongs... (this is also subject to the temperament of said monitor!).

And don't expect a laid back guy just because they were timid on first meeting! My Sandy is a nutter for food. He handles pretty well but I always use gloves to retrieve him from his enclosure because his food brain is insane. The moment the enclosure is opened, his pupils dilate and he's on the hunt. I present him my gloved hand and after a quick sniff, he starts to calm down. And on that note, I'd also suggest a front entrance to a monitor enclosure... for your benefit and for the benefit of the animal.

This may seem obvious, but if handling is a priority it may be worth acquiring a captive bred monitor. Wild caught monitors stress very easily and as a result can be difficult to care for. Also consider the monitor species in regards to temperament. Some species tend to be more shy than others as a reflection to what they might have faced in the wild.

And don't expect a laid back guy just because they were timid on first meeting! My Sandy is a nutter for food. He handles pretty well but I always use gloves to retrieve him from his enclosure because his food brain is insane. The moment the enclosure is opened, his pupils dilate and he's on the hunt. I present him my gloved hand and after a quick sniff, he starts to calm down. And on that note, I'd also suggest a front entrance to a monitor enclosure... for your benefit and for the benefit of the animal.

Interesting. I find that my monitors' pupils tend to contract when they go in for the strike.

Interesting. I find that my monitors' pupils tend to contract when they go in for the strike.
I think you're right. Although I think I may have jumped the gun and noticed their eyes just prior to focusing on a 'prey' item! Wide open and ridiculously alert.

I think it's about time I stopped trying to give advice on here without taking my time in posting!

I don't know too much about monitors specifically, but this is what I've been told by several people in relation to reptiles (feel free to correct), especially lizards. As Stompsy said a front opening enclosure is preferable. This is because, especially with young or small lizards, you reaching in from above is similar to what a predator would do, snatch them up from above, this is more likely to cause defensive behavior like biting or scratching etc
whereas with a front opening they can see/smell you, before you touch them, meaning they are less likely to be spooked when touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back