Need help understand Jags

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put Morelia sp. as the scientific name, and instead of a distribution map I would have a paragraph with a little bit about Jags and their history.

After viewing this thread for a couple of days now I still can't comprehend someone that buys a jag but wants to put an ID tag on it's enclosure.

This is a joke...
I must be dreaming...

On the distribution map, show the Aus coastline but add to it a picture of the Hamburgler from Mcdonalds, flying a plane, with a bag over his shoulder with loose notes of cash falling out as he flies towards Australia.

I have looked over our listing (virides.ecwid.com) and they are all there with one L. Understandably this post is shown with two Ls but this was a typo. I am not sure what you are refering to as we want to ensure it is all correct :) Are you able to point out where you are talking about with a weblink?

- - - Updated - - -

This is what we have done - https://www.facebook.com/Virides/ph...337902372519/1142208872485412/?type=3&theater

It was based on all the comments here and best represents a difficult situation with regards to how our Name Plates are structured.

Thanks all for the help :)

I didn't mean your catalogue list, I meant your initial post in this thread, where every time you typed Morelia, you did it with two "L"s (4 or 5 times). It's no big deal if you're aware of the correct spelling, but if you're the one who makes up and sends off the info to the name plate maker, you might end up with incorrect spelling on the finished product. I just thought I'd point that out to you.

Like the others though, a distribution map for Jags is totally meaningless. They have no natural distribution themselves, and the genetics are so mixed up you'll never know the origins of any animal you have.

Jamie

Nice to see you old timers returning , was getting pretty boring round here with all the my Python won't eat and watch should I name my baby jungle discussions, but I feel like this whole jag debate is what killed this website from its heyday by the constant bickering over the whole jag situation.

Didn't mean to open up a topic with such history lol :)

I have fixed the original post to be as Morelia.

Also while it is understandable that having a map isn't true to the animal exactly, the way our Name Plates are structured required a map. So we used the distribution of all subspecies and specified this note on the Name Plate. We are thinking of having a Hybrid Category and with this we might approach the data represented here in a different way. I guess as long as we have a note on there explaining it, then it's better than just making up any range for them.

Also we didn't have them originally listed, but because we allow anyone to send in the animal they require, then it was only inevitable to get something not all agree on. We just wanted to ask those who have a better understanding so we didn't create a product blindly, so thanks heaps for your input!

For the circumstances, it's the best we can do for any customer who has this type of animal :)

Just have Morelia spilota spp. on it and have the entire carpet and Bredli distribution map like others have said, so it can include other morphs and things like Gammon ranges carpets or cape york carpets

Also while it is understandable that having a map isn't true to the animal exactly, the way our Name Plates are structured required a map.

In that case a map of Norway would be the most accurate.

Actually isn't the map for natural distribution? Either you would have Morelia spilota and Morelia Bredli distribution to cover all species and sub species as no one knows the true sub species of a jag. I was thinking of no natural distribution as the jag morph has never lived in the wild but then thought it is only a morph no different to albino or hypo or zebra.

Its quite different to albino and hypo.
"morph" ology... as a term describes a look, but genetics and mixing of a complex does make a big difference.
There was a time not that long ago, that you could look at a carpet python and know what locality it naturally occurred in, or at least be very close.
These days there are a lot of snakes in captivity that would never have been produced naturally, so therefore a distribution map for them is a joke.

I don't see jag different from albino or hypo in regards to them all being a "look".

Your right that there is no natural distribution, and yeah I guess on a certain level they are just produced for a "look". Surely no one would be breeding them for their pole dancing abilities......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back