Needing information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm9385

Reaction score
Hi!
So I have a albino darwin python, I've just got my hole set up, handling wise he is fantastic but I'm worried as when I put him in the tank (witch is all glass) he goes straight to the top corner in the plant then does not move, it has a mesh top with a infared heat globe the cage is set at 32 threw out the day then during the night I have a heat mat. Witch he does not use. I'm wondering is it to hot, is he settling in, should I have a bigger water bowl for humidity, do I have the temp right?
I am just needing the best advice for him as everyone has an opinion but I want what's best for him.
Thanks I'd really like some feed back

Hey there, welcome to the forum. Got some pics?

you’re gonna need a lot of work to make what’s best for your Darwin python + childrens python, it mainly involves redoing your whole setup

Glass enclosures are no good, you’re losing all your heat and humidity through the sides and top mesh, with your new enclosure you would want preferably a melamine or pvc enclosure with solid sides and tops that will hold the heat and moisture in.

I’m going to assume the snakes don’t live together and are just together for “playtime”

It’s a little bit hard to tell, but what type of sand is that? Looks like snow in your pictures (so bright)

You say your thermostat is Set to 32, which is a good temperature for them to bask, but what is the actual temperature of their basking spot? How are you measuring your temps?

I'm beginning to realise I did wrong with the tank, the basking spot has the thermometer and is usually sits at 30, I did have them together but I was told to separate them.
I didn't think it would be an issue as they did there own thing.
Again I am still figuring all this out so if I'm doing wrong please be blunt and tell me.
The sand is komodo reptile sand.
ATM how would I go about the humidity and during the night a...? I've put in a ceramic heat lamps so it does not drop below 26.
I will not be able to purchase new tanks like you say for a couple more weeks, how do I make it ok for them till then.
Once again I do appreciate all advice

The guy is in Brisbane, his room temp is suitable, assuming he isn't running AC and has a basking spot for fermenting. I am a couple hours south and run glass tanks (although they are 8mm toughened and 6mm toughened) and i have to believe they are fine. Surely a piece of snake foam on the back, one side and half the top will stop any minor heat loss? Assuming it's an issue at all.

Seems like a broad brush to use just to say glass tanks are crap, no matter your local ambient. What about in Cairns? Still crap?

That substrate does not look comfortable though, i agree. Coconut coir works ok, but i've found marine carpet to be clean, durable and easily maintained.

the way I audibly gasped lol...
The sand won't be helping with humidity and generally isn't suitable for most snake species imo, I'd recommend switching to coco coir or any similar non-toxic bark bedding. stay away from pine. paper towel or newspaper will also work for these two but needs replacing frequently and won't help with humidity.
looks like the anteresia needs a good soak in shallow lukewarm water, seems to be only one layer of stuck shed but if it is allowed to build up that can lead to big problems down the track. I'd recommend providing a humid hide for him as well.
Cohabing the same species is risky at the best of times but a carpet and an anteresia... give it a couple of months you won't have two snakes anymore - I'd wanna separate them asap even if it means tubbing one for a week or two (make sure it still has hides, water and a heat gradient in the tub tho), if that's not possible make sure to separate them during feeding at the very least. Darwins get big too, we're talking 6.5" he's gonna need a decent enclosure eventually.
honestly, if you just fix that stuck shed, chuck out the sand and separate them you should be fine.
just my two cents plenty of more experienced people on this forum but I hope that's helpful to you and that you do right by your snakes, plenty of info is available here on how to properly set up both of these species.

update us when they're all set up, good luck!
:)

edit: just noticed the water bowl in your pics. It is super important to have a bowl big enough for a snake to soak its entire body in, they don't just use them for drinking - the size of your current bowl is probably what led to all that stuck shed on Loki - super easy fix just chuck in a big plastic container or something big enough for them to fully soak in (make sure its not too deep though).

As has been stated, it is not a good idea to keep more than one python in the same cage (except when mating them). Some people have gotten away with it, but many others have had one python eat the other. This happens most often where there is a significant size difference. However, being of similar size does not also stop a python from trying to ingest its cage mate.

That aside, my first priority would be removing the stuck shed on the stimmie to ensure it can see properly. You need to be shown how to remove a stuck shed. The following is a good you tube video demonstrating the process. Remember to be gentle and do not try and forcefully pull off any that does not come away easily. Wet it down by holding towelling on it and try again. Keep trying to moisten it until it does con=me away easily…

https://www.google.com/search?clien...m+a+snake#kpvalbx=_84xTY6foIN274-EP6M2umA8_25. The recommended temperature is 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This is 29.4 Celsius. 30oC is good, but no higher as it can damage snake. The eye spectacles look they have already come free. If they have not then let me know. I can explain a less potentially hazardous way of removing them other than using masking tape.

You could use more information than most have time to type out for you here. So, I’ll post the web addresses of a few reliable sources that will certainly help. There are also a number of excellent books on keeping Australian pythons. If you cannot afford to buy any, see if you can borrow copies from your state library.

Care of Darwin pythons…
https://www.aussiepythons.com/threads/albino-darwin-carpet-python-set-up.227685/ and https://www.vhs.com.au/carpet-python/ .

Care of Children’s pythons…
https://www.vhs.com.au/childrens-python/.

Latest posts

Back