Neonate tiger snakes (notechis scutatus)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFireStorm

Reaction score
WARNING...handling of venomous snakes......Neonate tiger snakes (notechis scutatus)

Found these babies wriggling around when I got home tonight.......19 in total so far, but think she still has more to come

Daz

Please note:.....Handling of venomous snakes should only be done by experienced keepers

Attachments

• P1010297.jpg
    P1010297.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 375
  • P1010303.jpg
    P1010303.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 310
  • P1010300.jpg
    P1010300.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 544
  • P1010302.jpg
    P1010302.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 327
  • P1010309.jpg
    P1010309.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
10x new neonates found this morning....bringing total to 29 from 1 female:D

Daz

Attachments

• P1010310.jpg
    P1010310.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 199
how old do they have to get before they can affect you with there venom

Last edited by a moderator:
rockethead, they could do that right now if they wanted to really bite you. Even at that size they can still screw you up, possibly even cause death. Tiger snake venom is one of the most toxic venoms, I think it's rated 4 or 5 out of the world's terrestrial snake species in regards to toxicity. Even babies can potentially kill with one serious bite.

Are they not big enough at that age to get their fangs into you or they just do not try?

Being in Tassie and all, Do you release what you cannot sell or keep yourself?

Being in Tassie and all, Do you release what you cannot sell or keep yourself?

It is illegal to buy or sell in Tassie.....Pretty much all these little fellas have been spoken for however, any that I cannot rehome will be released. The only exception is nicely marked specimens that will be kept in my collection.

Daz

Are they not big enough at that age to get their fangs into you or they just do not try?

Even at that age, the venom is a lethal as an adult. It only takes the slightest penetration of a fang/fangs to enable an envenomation. Open wounds are also a hazard as any "leakage" of venom can get into the wound also causing envenomation.

NB. I have had many years of experience handling Tasmanian snakes hence the "Note" on OP. Therefore, the handling seen in pics should only done by experienced handlers and is no way an indication to inexperienced to copy.

I wish Aus allowed export of their snakes, I want a Tiger snake!!

Congrats Daz. They're beaut littluns. It's interesting that some are dark and some banded. I wonder if one of the parents was banded and the other dark or is this just typical genetic variation?
Any chance of a pic of mum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back