Nephrurus levis pilbarensis eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesy1990

Reaction score
I have a female which I've had for about 6 months, she is the only gecko I have. I thought she may be gravid because I have read they can store sperm for over a year and she was kept with a male when I got her. I was checking her cage daily to look for eggs but somehow missed them :( I found them way too late they were way too dry and one had fully collapsed.

My question is could they be fertile or do geckos just drop eggs even if they haven't been fertilized? Because I am fairly sure she is gravid again ( nice big belly with lighter egg outlines).
Should I get the incubator going or will they just be empty eggs?

Cheers :) ill try get some pics up of her if she doesn't lay tonight.

My guess would be stored sperm.
If the egg has collapsed it must be fertile as "slug" eggs are very firm.
Good luck, Nick.

Likely infertile. I think females can still ovulate without a male around although don't quote me on that. If this is the case, egg laying will continue over summer with no fertile eggs. And yes, smooth knob-tailed geckos can store viable sperm and use it up to just over a year (at least). This is what I have found with my females.

Thanks guys.

null_zps2b84c768.jpg

null_zps30aabf17.jpg

null_zpsa0847ed5.jpg

null_zps08f40c38.jpg

Just some quick pics. :) I woke her up so she is a bit cranky

Looks pretty gravid to me. I would say their fertile so keep checking the sand for eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back