New 2 Turtles...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenno

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am new to owning a turtle :). He/She is a busy little thing and eating very well. I just had a couple of questions, hoping that someone out there would give me a hand with...

Firstly, I haven't seen it basking on its dock. How often do turtles bask? I thought it would at least be daily. We have only had it for a week so it's probably still getting use to its surrounds?

The other is whether turtles need air stones like fish? (Obviously aware that turtles have lungs) but just have my best intentions at heart.

Any turtle tips would be awesome.

Thanks heaps

If you have a good filter you won't need air stones. A good filter should be turning over your tank's water about 3-4 times an hour and external filters are the best. What sized tank do you have and what size is your turtle?

As for basking, turtles especially when they're small are very shy so chances are you may not actually get to see it bask when you're around. Our turtle used to run straight into the water whenever we got up in the morning. The tank was in the other room and the only way we knew she was basking at all was because we heard the splash when she heard us moving around in the bedroom and that was only once she reached a size large enough to make an audible sound.
Do you have a heat source above the basking area? That will help entice your turtle out and encourage it to bask if you're not sure it is.

Have a look at the Australian freshwater turtle forum mate. All the info you need there. :)

Ok. I will check out that forum thanks heaps :). The turtle is about 4mths old and about 6cm (shell diameter) so just a little tacker. I have him/her in a temporary 2ft tank whilst our old 4ft Discus tank is being upgraded. I am running a Tank Maid 1000 internal filter atm. I have a Fluval 305 sitting there waiting for the 4ft tank but I might get that running into the 2ft this weekend. It would be good to get it running and build up good bacteria levels in prep for bigger tank. Thanks heaps

Ok. I will check out that forum thanks heaps :). The turtle is about 4mths old and about 6cm (shell diameter) so just a little tacker. I have him/her in a temporary 2ft tank whilst our old 4ft Discus tank is being upgraded. I am running a Tank Maid 1000 internal filter atm. I have a Fluval 305 sitting there waiting for the 4ft tank but I might get that running into the 2ft this weekend. It would be good to get it running and build up good bacteria levels in prep for bigger tank. Thanks heaps

What does the diet consist of?

Seem they are shutting down in june. run out of money.

Ok, that's a bugger, will read as much as I can between now and then. Ta!

- - - Updated - - -

What does the diet consist of?

We are feeding it frozen blocks and dried shrimp as a treat really. So, Turtle Dinner, Beef Heart & Prawn, Blood Worm (but I think this is only meant for treat scenario as well?). I have yet to try turtle pellets. Can you recommend a great diet, is that why you were wondering? :)

Ok, that's a bugger, will read as much as I can between now and then. Ta!

- - - Updated - - -

We are feeding it frozen blocks and dried shrimp as a treat really. So, Turtle Dinner, Beef Heart & Prawn, Blood Worm (but I think this is only meant for treat scenario as well?). I have yet to try turtle pellets. Can you recommend a great diet, is that why you were wondering? :)

Bin the frozen turtle dinners as they are rubbish. As is the beef heart. They cannot fully digest red meat.
Blood worm is a great source of protein when they are young and should only be used as a treat when they are older to prevent things like "tenting".
You need to be providing live fish (or freshly killed if necessary), crickets, woodies. If your turtle is a short neck it will need a variety of plant material. If it's a long neck you should not be providing plant material as they cannot digest that either.

This just proves it was worth putting up a quick post. I did research Murray River Short Neck Turtle diet since you asked fractal... Thanks hey, otherwise I would've continued the way I was. It's unfortunate that the person I purchased him from recommended this diet and told me nothing about them being omnivores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back