New Ackie - Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hey guys i got a new ackie today, he's a hatchling and i've already gotten some crickets, i chucked about 5 small crickets in to see how hungry he was so far nothing. So any ideas

P.S. i forgot to check with the breeder if he had been fed today he's also in mid shed.

Thats fine mate, nothing wrong there. Newly brought reptiles rarely eat on the first day, they are frightened and want to explore there new home. In addition the breeder may have recently fed the little guy. My ackie that I bought (I bought a hatchling from the same place today) hasn't eaten either also looks fairly well fed as well. Give it a couple of days and try to feed him again, he should have his appetite back.

Honestly, given the condition those guys were sold in (I get it, big expo, heaps of animals, etc necessitating the fast food container housings) they're probably all a touch traumatised. Give it a couple of days. My Levis aren't showing their faces at all and I had the luxury of taking them home from there in the 600x300 tank they were housed in for display. As long as his temps are good, tomorrow his belly should get the better of him and he'll eat.

Honestly, given the condition those guys were sold in (I get it, big expo, heaps of animals, etc necessitating the fast food container housings) they're probably all a touch traumatised. Give it a couple of days. My Levis aren't showing their faces at all and I had the luxury of taking them home from there in the 600x300 tank they were housed in for display. As long as his temps are good, tomorrow his belly should get the better of him and he'll eat.

The comment about temps is critical - these guys love it HOT - basking around 50+ would be a minimum.

Jamie

The comment about temps is critical - these guys love it HOT - basking around 50+ would be a minimum.

Jamie

Come on Jamie, obviously this young man has done extensive research before buying an animal at an expo. Where's your faith in humanity??

i have researched i was just wondering but the crickets have "mysteriously" disappeared and the little guy is basking

Haha I just saw my little guy out of hiding for the first time as well. He will eat petty soon. Haha yeh make sure you have at least 45c basking temp (50+ is way better though).

attachment.php
Haha I just saw my little guy out of hiding for the first time as well. He will eat petty soon. Haha yeh make sure you have at least 45c basking temp (50+ is way better though).

Yeh i have a 100w globe in a lamp. i've been keeping the little guy in my ex. hopping mice tank (it's only temporary i'll be getting a 4ft when he gets bigger). He has a branch which he sits on to bask and a rock the wood sits on top of the mesh to help insulate (because it's glass), i think i got it covered.

Attachments

• P1020386.jpg
    P1020386.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 221
He will be fine in that for a while don't stress to much over getting a 4ft just yet. You might want to add an extra hide and another branch to make him feel more secure by provinding those extra hiding and climbing spots. It will also allow him to move from a lower temp hide to a higher temp hide if he wants to. Good on you, ypu look pretty well set, I'm sure you will get a LOT of enjoyment from keeping him.

Thanks i am so excited he's so cute and active running around and exploring his enclosure
I also place a blanket over it to help insulate and get into the 50's.

Last edited:
Thanks i am so excited he's so cute and active running around and exploring his enclosure
I also place a blanket over it to help insulate and get into the 50's.

Remember, the basking spot needs to be in the 50s, not the whole enclosure. I would remove the blanket asap if I understand your post correctly.

Yep basking spot 50 (thats the spot directly below the hottest/highest watt globe). The ambient tempreature should vary (tempreature gredient) so you have a cool end and a hot not an overal hot enclosure. An ambient temp of 50 could lead to serious problems in baby monitors.

Polystyrene around the tank will help keep the heat in. You can get creative and make some fake backgrounds and fit the foam inside the tank; this will keep the heat in better. There are plenty of threads in the DIY section on how to do it. You can pick up polystyrene from any electrical retailer, they are usually glad to get rid of it.

- - - Updated - - -

And for its first winter (in Melbourne), it won't hurt to use a night heat globe. A low wattage one just to keep the ambient temp up overnight will be fine; we used a purple one that has the least light so not to disturb the monitor.

Polystyrene around the tank will help keep the heat in. You can get creative and make some fake backgrounds and fit the foam inside the tank; this will keep the heat in better. There are plenty of threads in the DIY section on how to do it. You can pick up polystyrene from any electrical retailer, they are usually glad to get rid of it.

- - - Updated - - -

And for its first winter (in Melbourne), it won't hurt to use a night heat globe. A low wattage one just to keep the ambient temp up overnight will be fine; we used a purple one that has the least light so not to disturb the monitor.

Thanks pinefamily we got heaps of polystyrene spare so that's great.
Speaking of feeding this is my diet plan for him,
Every First Day:
3-5 dusted crickets
Every Second Day:
3 dusted crickets, and mince (with added calcium)
Once a week:
One pinkie chopped up (he's a bit too small to swallow whole).

Please let me know if this needs increasing or decreasing.

Sounds ok probably skip a day in between give them time to digest and rest. I usally feed mine once a week (every saturday) but obviously I throw in a lot more crickets then just three. Although my guy is a hatchie as well so I will most likely feed him more frequently. Momitors love the odd rodent! Hell even geckos will eat a pinkie here and there lol.

Possibly more crickets, ackies can be eating machines. If you buy chicken mince from a pet food supplier, it has bones minced in with it, so I don't think calcium needs to be added.
As it gets bigger, you can substitute the mince for chopped chicken necks.

Possibly more crickets, ackies can be eating machines. If you buy chicken mince from a pet food supplier, it has bones minced in with it, so I don't think calcium needs to be added.
As it gets bigger, you can substitute the mince for chopped chicken necks.

Well we've given him some turkey mince with some supplement (small amount like 1/8 teaspoon) and he gobbled that right up. Any idea where I could get the chicken necks

Your local supermarket or butcher. Most Coles and Woolworths/Safeways sell them. I'd wait until it's a bit bigger before you give it chicken necks.
Turkey mince is fine with the calcium supplement; if you do buy the pet chicken mince, you probably don't need to add the supplement as it has the bones minced in with it a I said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back