Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timothy1993

Reaction score
g'day anyone reading this. I am new here to the forum and just had a question i was wanting answered if possible. i got a darwin carpet about a month ago he is a great little bugger, really energetic, great to watch and handle. But the past two days he has gone into his hide and has not come out. it is really out of the ordinary for him. since i got him home he has not gone in his hide at all,he prefers being up on his little branch or lying where his heat mat is from what i can tell. he is eating i fine, never had any issues there. his temp stays between 28-32 at all times barley varying although it has dropped to 26 once or twice at night. he is 11 months old if that helps. just wondering what could be up with him because as i said really out of the ordinary behaviour for this particular snake. could he be going into a shed i have nowticed his colours going a little dull lately and he felt more rough last handle. he hasnt got opaque or bluey eyes though so yeah just not sure. anyway sorry for the ramble, cheers for any feedback

cheers mate, appreciate the advice.

Getting ready to shed, have a humid hide for it on the warm side of your enclosure. This is what I'm talking about and it's how I get my Spotted Python to shed perfectly every time.

thanks good video mate i will be doing this tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it by chance albino? From what I’ve seen they don’t get the bluey covered eyes before sloughing.

99% going to be sloughing over the next few days so keep an eye out.

Signs in non albinos are they will go dull,pale gross looking and hide more than normal, if you can’t get that moss stuff in the video, you can lightly spray the enclosure.

We expect to see pics when he/she sheds :)

Welcome to forum mate nothing wrong with having the temps in low 20s in fact your snake will appreciate it so he can regulate his temp (unless your talking about temps where his mat/hotspot is not enclosure temps). i also have never had to add humidity to any of my snakes and they shed just fine, i am on gold coast so a bit of natural humidity prob helps.

Welcome to forum mate nothing wrong with having the temps in low 20s in fact your snake will appreciate it so he can regulate his temp (unless your talking about temps where his mat/hotspot is not enclosure temps). i also have never had to add humidity to any of my snakes and they shed just fine, i am on gold coast so a bit of natural humidity prob helps.
yeah thats his hot spot. i know the cooler area keeps to about 24, he seems to prefer his heated side though especially after a feed, yeah where i am it is still quite cold i live in a mountain area so temps are usually low still hitting 0 at night so natural humidity is pretty low

Is it by chance albino? From what I’ve seen they don’t get the bluey covered eyes before sloughing.

99% going to be sloughing over the next few days so keep an eye out.

Signs in non albinos are they will go dull,pale gross looking and hide more than normal, if you can’t get that moss stuff in the video, you can lightly spray the enclosure.

We expect to see pics when he/she sheds :)
nah he isnt an albino buddy, they were a bit out of my price range for the moment haha. yeah wasnt going to bother with the moss i was going to grab a spray bottle and moisten up the substrate in his hide.

Last edited by a moderator:
A water bowl large enough for him to soak in will help, as will a rock, and/or a branch.
he has decent water bowl i see him half in half out of it quite a bit. i think he likes a bit of a soak. i have his water bowl on the cool side so it doesnt get too humid in there and cause him any scale issues or possible mould problems. and i change his water out every day to keep it fresh.

If he doesn't have a good shed, move the water bowl into the middle of the tank. Closer to the heat will help with humidity, which will help him have a better shed.

If he doesn't have a good shed, move the water bowl into the middle of the tank. Closer to the heat will help with humidity, which will help him have a better shed.
yeah depending on how he goes i will do just that thanks bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back