New, fully adjustable hatchling rack.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have finally finished building my new and fully adjustable hatchling rack :D

Its been a very long process. The build itself wasn't that long (1-2 weeks), but the fine details like holes, working out stick set-ups, locks, stoppers, etc, that were time consuming. I started this build in January. Plus having a bad back doesn't speed things up at all.

Well it's done and filling up with snakes, I think it's time to show it off.

I have used 5L and 9L tubs. I got the 5L tubs for Children's Pythons and the 9L tubs for Carpet Pythons, because of their hight. So far the Carpets spend about 80% of the day on the sticks.
DSC00372_zpsfd7cf5dd.jpg

I used two 50w heat cords, which I routed into the back of every shelf and covered with aluminium tape.
DSC00397_zps6011e3e7.jpg

DSC00401_zps856531ae.jpg

DSC00374_zpsfc49b349.jpg

This is my locking system. I have a cat that thinks it's fun to pull the tubs off the rack. So I came up with this locking system to stop him from doing so. works a charm, and because the sticks simply clip on and off the shelves, I still have quick access to the tubs.
DSC00387_zpsf0e586bf.jpg

The sticks in these tubs, were a massive headache.
I knew I wanted to suspend the sticks, so I could easily take the sticks out for quick access and cleaning, but I didn't know how to do it, until I was playing with some plastic glue one day and stuck my fingers together.
A light went on in my head for two reasons, 1, I was an idiot for getting my fingers stuck together......again:rolleyes: and 2, I could glue some plastic tubing in the tubs to hold the sticks. It's strong and as you can see, works very well.
DSC00383_zpse61e8b22.jpg

DSC00378_zps1ac9466e.jpg

DSC00394_zpsc3798128.jpg

DSC00389_zps6ddb7d09.jpg

This rack works perfectly and can be adjusted to fit any size tub later on. I left some extra threaded tube on top, just in case I want to change the 5L tubs to 9L tubs later on (not for Children's obviously).

The down side to this build, is it wasn't cheap. I now understand why retail racks are so expensive.
This build cost me around $650, for everything except the dimming thermostat, I had a spare one lying around.

But I couldn't be happier with it :D

Last edited:
Very impressive mate. I take it that one line of heat cord is enough for each tub?

Wow! Looks good. Love the anti cat lock! What are the hides made from? I really miss those old black soft drink bottle bottoms for these kind of projects. Hope the rack brings you lots of breeding successes!

Very impressive mate. I take it that one line of heat cord is enough for each tub?

Plenty for hatchlings, it can gets to 40+ degrees and the aluminium tape helps distribute the heat a little further.

I run two rows of heat cord on my breeders rack though.

Wow! Looks good. Love the anti cat lock! What are the hides made from? I really miss those old black soft drink bottle bottoms for these kind of projects. Hope the rack brings you lots of breeding successes!

Thanks,

The hides are water basins for the bottom of pot plants. I just cut a hole in the side and they're ready to go.

What an awesome hatchie rack! And what amazing hathies!!!! They are stunning!!!! Well done on the breeding and on the awesome build! It looks great :D

U forgot to mention dimentions???? lol...cause i gota build 1 soon and this is a cracking idea mate...thanks for sharing......recon i can get it done a fair bit cheaper tho...what was the most expensive part?......how long a lenghts r the threaded rod?
Ta
Pete
Ps...where did u put ya probe?

Last edited:
U forgot to mention dimentions???? lol...cause i gota build 1 soon and this is a cracking idea mate...thanks for sharing......recon i can get it done a fair bit cheaper tho...what was the most expensive part?......how long a lenghts r the threaded rod?
Ta
Pete
Ps...where did u put ya probe?

I did too. sorry about that.

16mm thick melamine the total rack is 1010mm wide x 345mm deep x 1730mm high (thats including the threaded rod).

The most expensive part was the melamine with edging. $186.40 for the melamine, plus cutting to size, puls edging every shelf, I wanted it to look pretty :)

The 9L tubs were $3 each and the 5L tubs for $2.50 each.

The 4 threaded rods and all the nuts and washers, were $123.85. I think the rods came in 2 metre lengths.

In picture 3, you can see the white probe in the middle of shelf 4 from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back