New Het Albino Carpet šŸ˜

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinxed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I happened to drive to my local reptile store today (Totally Reptiles) to have a quick look at some of their snakes and absolutely fell in love with this Het Albino Darwin.

Once it's all settled in, I'll take some more photos in a couple of days.

Just wanted to say thankyou again to all of those who have helped me with my questions and all of the advice you've given me. PXL_20211106_030019550.jpgPXL_20211106_030052640.jpgPXL_20211106_042053687.jpg

Thanks Elapid :) Can't wait to watch it grow up and learn from it.

thats awesome! nice looking snake and hopefully you look forward to the growth and learning from it!

a few things to ask
1) did they give any history sheet? when it shed, what its eating, when it ate, when it hatched etc?
2) What did they recommend feeding it? hard to tell from pics, but it looks like it could take small adult mice
3) any reason for picking a het albino over a visual albino? did this one just click with you?

edit: You may want to add thicker pieces of perching material/dowel as he/she wont be able to sit properly on the smaller pieces - I use 1cm thick dowel

Absolutely can't wait.
only thought to ask about what food is it currently eating which was pinkie mice, and they weren't sure of exact age as they only got the snake in yesterday but she told me it's roughly 6months old. Not sure on any of the other besides to feed it next saturday as it was recently fed.
I seen a few albinos but when I seen this one it just caught my eye and just instantly clicked and I kept walking back to look at it. Was super gentle to handle to, a little flighty but it also would stop and rest on my hand and then try keep moving haha. Half expected.

Okay no worries! I'll see how it goes and might add cross sections to help wrap itself around etc.

Ive got 5 pinkies that I bought with her/him so once we go through them ill upgrade :)

My Darwin was similar size to this when I first got her, she was apparently a slow feeder and when I bought her home at around 5-6months she was barely eating one pinkie a feed, after as much research as possible, I decided to try a furry mouse and test different sizes out, eventually I hit the jackpot when she launched at her chosen full adult mouse and never looked back, approx 3 or 4 feeds later we moved her onto similar size rats and upgraded her food as she grew.
I have since learnt that pinkie mice have very little nutritional value for a young python and that even the smallest carpet will eat a full grown mouse, sometimes more than one, but please do not take my word as gospel, do your own research and make your own informed decisions.
Good luck with your new friend.

The first picture is of my girl when she first started eating full grown adult mice, and the second is an example found here on aussiepythons.

Attachments

• 20211106_184940.jpg
    20211106_184940.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211106_184645.jpg
    20211106_184645.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 19
now u must name him!
haha I'll name it when I can figure out its sex. Can't quite tell yet. But in the mean time I'm thinking of names haha

My Darwin was similar size to this when I first got her, she was apparently a slow feeder and when I bought her home at around 5-6months she was barely eating one pinkie a feed, after as much research as possible, I decided to try a furry mouse and test different sizes out, eventually I hit the jackpot when she launched at her chosen full adult mouse and never looked back, approx 3 or 4 feeds later we moved her onto similar size rats and upgraded her food as she grew.
I have since learnt that pinkie mice have very little nutritional value for a young python and that even the smallest carpet will eat a full grown mouse, sometimes more than one, but please do not take my word as gospel, do your own research and make your own informed decisions.
Good luck with your new friend.

The first picture is of my girl when she first started eating full grown adult mice, and the second is an example found here on aussiepythons.
I love the look of your girl! Absolutely amazing, the patterns and colour is what drew me to mine. I'll try different feeds and look into it too! Might try get onto adults sooner than later then. Thanks for the info.

one quick question for those of you who have darwin's, what humidity range is good? mine's currently at 56 down from 70 during the day.
I've read 60-70 is good.

This is her at around 1 year, personally of all the Carpets, I think darwins have some of the most beautiful natural colours. Others may have different valid opinions, and I think all my snakes are equally as beautiful, but definitely Darwin are pretty special.

My only suggestion is, so many people have opinions, its so hard to follow all the advice so take notes but do your own research too and make your own choices and try not to overthink everything, most of the time everything is fine and if not, you can always make adjustments.

Congratulations again, he is a beautiful snake :)

one quick question for those of you who have darwin's, what humidity range is good? mine's currently at 56 down from 70 during the day.
I've read 60-70 is good.
I'm in Melb too, forget it....
Your set up is perfect, I used the exact same, literally. Just leave a water bowl and don't overthink.
The first shed is nothing to do with you, if he has a flaky or dry second shed, you could assess your options such a humidity box or water bowl sizes, but this shouldnt be an issue, so don't be concerned just yet.
Its hard to learn to be so calm because we are used to domestic animals which require so much care, over time you will learn snakes don't need much, good temp gradient, (thermostat will handle this), a water bowl, some climbing equipment, and a couple of hides, thats pretty much it, everything else we can assess if an issue arises, but most of the time you'll be right:)

Attachments

• 20211106_190631.jpg
    20211106_190631.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 9
This is her at around 1 year, personally of all the Carpets, I think darwins have some of the most beautiful natural colours. Others may have different valid opinions, and I think all my snakes are equally as beautiful, but definitely Darwin are pretty special.

My only suggestion is, so many people have opinions, its so hard to follow all the advice so take notes but do your own research too and make your own choices and try not to overthink everything, most of the time everything is fine and if not, you can always make adjustments.

Congratulations again, he is a beautiful snake :)
I totally get where you're coming from! Back when I was thinking if a snake was a fit for me, I was looking at all the different species and at first I wanted a diamond but when I found the Albino Darwin I absolutely fell in love and the biggest factor was the size being one of the smaller/medium Pythons but when I seen this one, I just kept coming back to her/him (still dont know the sex). I absolutely love yours, the pattern and colour is stunning!

My mother isnt much of a snake person, let alone any sort of reptile or insect person but she even loves the looks of her.

If your mother is open to admiring him/her, wait until he/she starts to show his/her little "personality", I love waking up in the morning to a room of little faces peering out from their hides, little tongue going crazy, "food? Are you food? Do you have food? Food?", or looking over my shoulder at dinner and seeing a big menacing face as close to me as the enclosure will allow, sometimes I sit for hours just admiring them.

Diamonds are beautiful too, so mesmerising when they move,
Maybe your next will be a diamond, just before you collect too many like I did, try to remember that eventually they grow up and finding space for multiple enclosures is not always easy lol

Attachments

• 20210905_103824.jpg
    20210905_103824.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 15
Even though right now I'm like "yeah nah I just want one", I feel like it's going to turn into a multi snake hobby haha. Can't wait to watch it grow up and see what sorts of personality it has.

hahahahaha the whole "food? Are you food? Do you have food? Food?" thing I've seen many times on youtube.

Even though right now I'm like "yeah nah I just want one", I feel like it's going to turn into a multi snake hobby haha. Can't wait to watch it grow up and see what sorts of personality it has.

hahahahaha the whole "food? Are you food? Do you have food? Food?" thing I've seen many times on youtube.

I think we all start out as I only want one and then we see another colour or we have collected all the morelia so we look for another species, a black headed or a children's python and next thing you know we have enclosures in every room and no space left in our freezer from all the rats.
Don't do that lol.

All I see and hear is do exactly that šŸ¤£

Okay so I know first time snake owners over think everything and I'm trying not too and a few of you have said not to worry about humidity too much but I just got home from work and the humidity is at 43% and she's hiding in her cave since late last night. I can only guess its time that she will need to get comfortable with the new enclosure and then she will come out, or could it be that its not quite warm enough and thats why shes staying in her cave?

also, Going to give her a couple of days in the enclosure before I get her out to handle but damn it, it's so tempting to want to do it now šŸ˜‚

All I see and hear is do exactly that šŸ¤£

Okay so I know first time snake owners over think everything and I'm trying not too and a few of you have said not to worry about humidity too much but I just got home from work and the humidity is at 43% and she's hiding in her cave since late last night. I can only guess its time that she will need to get comfortable with the new enclosure and then she will come out, or could it be that its not quite warm enough and thats why shes staying in her cave?

also, Going to give her a couple of days in the enclosure before I get her out to handle but damn it, it's so tempting to want to do it now šŸ˜‚
As a "baby" he/she is going to spend most of its time hiding away, don't think anything of it.
They are a tiny creature in a giant world, as their confidence grows it will explore more, most likely he/she will be more active at night.

I've never been concerned with humidity, I'm concerned by feeding and sheds.
If something is wrong these will be your first signs, refusing food, flaky or stuck sheds, from there you can work out what needs adjusting.
A full complete shed is a good indication that you are raising a healthy snake.

And be patient, letting it settle allows it to build its confidence with its surroundings, noises, etc.
Plus if it feels more secure, it will feel more comfortable to explore.
And a confident snake is a "friendly" snake.

Last edited:
As a "baby" he/she is going to spend most of its time hiding away, don't think anything of it.
They are a tiny creature in a giant world, as they're confidence grows it will explore more, most likely he/she will be more active at night.

I've never been concerned with humidity, I'm concerned by feeding and sheds.
If something is wrong these will be your first signs, refusing food, flaky or stuck sheds, from there you can work out what needs adjusting.
A full complete shed is a good indication that you are raising a healthy snake.

And be patient, letting it settle allows it to build its confidence with its surroundings, noises, etc.
Plus if it feels more secure, it will feel more comfortable to explore.
And a confident snake is a "friendly" snake.
Well put, makes sense! Aight! I'll just wait and try my best to accommodate it's needs the best way I can and make any changes later on :) Thanks once again! You all have made this massive learning curve that much easier to learn (and calm many of my nerves) haha.

Had to do a bit of an enclosure clean an safe to say she's a very curious snake! Absolute munchkin and she was a bit nervous at first but very calm. No lost finger either although she did give me a bit of a scare when she pumped her head into my finger quickly with no bite at all. Absolutely in love with this one!PXL_20211110_021615749.jpgPXL_20211110_021627764.jpgPXL_20211110_021654306.jpgPXL_20211110_021700584.jpgPXL_20211110_021703310.jpgPXL_20211110_021819926.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211107_085951265.jpg
    PXL_20211107_085951265.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20211110_021835277.jpg
    PXL_20211110_021835277.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back