New juvenile coastal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moses

Reaction score
My female coastal died after 20 yrs a few months ago and I recently got a juvenile female coastal. She is incredibly skittish and has bitten me more in one handling than my old girl did in 20 yrs,0. I have increased the size of her feed and even after a feed she is still striking and very skittish when I go to take her out. I wait minimum 3 days after a feed. I have started to wear gloves to handle her after she bit and held on for over 5 mins. I really don't want to stress the snake but I want to make her comfortable with handling and have her realize she is not my prey. Any tips are much appreciated.

I would recommend using a hook and placing her calmly onto your hand (with or without a glove) and try to get her attention directed towards something else in the room (if you have another person) and after doing this for a while she should get used to you and understand your not a threat. Hope it goes well :)

I actually have been using a hook to get her out of the tank, it makes it easier but she is still ready to strike. Just being patient.

stop trying to get her out to handle, Its not helping, and most likely making things worse

So how long would you suggest I leave her before beginning to handle?

Latest posts

Back