New Lizard any suggestions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in search for a new lizard I have owned carpet pythons for the past 8 years so have decent experience. I don't want anything too small but nothing massive that can't be kept comfortably inside. I have also owned bearded dragons in the past so not one of them. I have read from a few sources saying Ackies are good, Eastern water dragons have also caught my eye. If anyone here has any experience with them what are your opinions. Thank you.

Bluetongue skinks and pinktongue skinks are easy to care for and are good and interesting reptiles to keep and both becomes very tame

Brandon, you have not provided a location and that makes it difficult to provide suggestions of some specifically appropriate species suitable for you to keep.

Water Dragons are not well suited to indoor enclosures due to both their ultimate size (60 – 100 cm total length) plus their need for a substantial body of water in which to swim, forage and hide. Other agamids that are more suitable for indoor enclosures are the Central Netted Dragon Ctenophorus nuchalis and Western Netted Dragon Ctenophorus reticulatus, Boyd’s Forest Dragon Hypsilurus boydii and the Rainforest Dragon Hypsilurus spinipes.

There are a number of small varanids other than ackies, but probably the most suitable is the Pygmy Mulga Monitor Varanus gillenii. Both these species will benefit from having as much space available as you can provide and they will reward you by making use of all the space available in a suitably furnished enclosure. Note that an ideal basking spot for these is 50 degrees Celsius or slightly more.

It depends on your location as to which of the Blue-tongued skinks would be best suited for you. Some other skinks of reasonable size that are suitable for keeping indoors are Cunningham’s Skink Egernia cunninghami and the Pygmy Spiney-tailed Skink Egernia depressa. Also Water Skinks Eulamprus species and Tree Skinks Egernia striolata. These are active species that provide good entertaining viewing during daylight hours.

Have you considered legless lizards Pygopodidae? Species such as the Common Scaly-foot Pygopus lepidopodus, Eastern Hooded Scaly-foot Pygopus schraderi, and Western Hooded Scaly-foot Pygopus nigriceps are excellent day-active lizards.

Hello, I am in search for a new lizard I have owned carpet pythons for the past 8 years so have decent experience. I don't want anything too small but nothing massive that can't be kept comfortably inside. I have also owned bearded dragons in the past so not one of them. I have read from a few sources saying Ackies are good, Eastern water dragons have also caught my eye. If anyone here has any experience with them what are your opinions. Thank you.
I think Eastern Water Dragons are great lizards to own. Like the guy above mentioned, however, I would look at housing them outdoors once they grow larger.
A nice outdoor enclosure with some greenery, a pond/water feature, with a couple EWDs is a beautiful sight.

I keep Pygmy Beardies, Dwarf Beardies, Central netted dragons and Ring tail dragons. All medium/small crittters and all easily maintained. I also have Varanus occreatus, a small monitor similar to Ackies but to my mind a better choice. If you are interested I have some juvies available. Pick up Liverpool no shipping

Latest posts

Back