New Parents Are Always The Most Panicky!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tildy

Here is my baby, pygmy python IMG_0662.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_0663.jpgIMG_0664.jpg. She is my very first snake and as all new parents I can't help but get a lil worried at the little things when I see them for the first time. She has had two feeds with me but it's been ten days since her last and she point blank refused this one. She sniffs it then sticks her head up tall trying to reach for my hand to get out rather than wanting to eat. I brained the pinky and I will try again on the weekend with another one. I know that 10 days isnt alot for a snake and I know that it's winter and all. Its just that she has always been a good feeder (I have her feed history from the breeder). She hasn't shed in 41 days but she doesn't look cloudy (I dont think) especially not her eyes and she definately hasnt changed her behaviour. I had her out just then to take these photos and she was in and out of my sleeves, trying to get onto my bed, trying to get onto the computer, just everywhere. She can move really quick when she wants to and now that she is getting used to me she is getting more assertive about where she wants to go. Used to be if I put my finger in front of her she would quickly retreat, but not anymore.

Basically, since I dont know much about snakes yet, I wanted a second opinion. I know the photos are not great but can you guys tell if she looks healthy and not too skinny? Also, do snakes always show some sign of shedding or can they just do it randomly out of the blue? Also, is it odd that she hasn't shed for 41 days or is that just winter? Do I need to try and up humidity just in case she is shedding? And to what percentage?

She is in a critter keeper measuring 25cm x 43 cm with a hot end around 30 C and a cool end where she spends a great deal of time under her water dish. She has a hide at the hot end as well, a bit of driftwood and a woven grass thing with lots of holes that was originally in the rodent section of the pet shop that I bought as a finch nest but never used so she isnt as bored.

Anyway. Sorry for yet another one of these. I just want to be sure I'm doing all I can to keep her healthy and happy.

I was very anxious when I first got my stimmie, Zephyr. She was two months old at the time and also my first snake. Five months later I've relaxed a lot but still get stressed if she does anything out of the ordinary. :) Even if you've done all the research and the reading, it's perfectly normal to be an anxious mother.

Your pygmy stimmie looks very healthy to me - and very pretty. 41 days without shedding is fine. Zephyr sheds bang on every 7 weeks (49 days) on a Tuesday.

As for the not eating, it is possible your baby might be coming up to a shed. It's not always obvious - you can miss the cloudy eyes altogether. A shedding snake may become lethargic and reclusive. The skin gets very dull and sometimes looks loose. My girl starts showing signs of lethargy over a week before she actually sheds, then she starts to hide.

Does your feeding record also have shedding dates? Has she eaten before earlier sheds? How long between sheds? If you think she is about to slough, spray her enclosure with tepid water once a day and keep a small water bowl in the hot end. That's worked for me.

How are you heating her enclosure? I'd also bump the temperature up. My stimmie's hottest spot is about 32 to 33 degrees and she's always hungry. In fact she's a guts. I call her the Fat Snake because if she ate as much as she wanted to she'd be huge.

Looks like you're doing fine.

Yeah, I have her shedding dates and her feed record from the breeder and sometimes its a few weeks between feeds and sheds and sometimes its 5 days. I guess she, like me is a little undecided on life. She seemed fairly quiet when I held her tonight which is unlike her and she didnt put up her usual fight when I put her back. Usually she is squirming and trying to climb back up my sleeve but tonight she just went straight back. I have a heat mat controlled by a baisic 'Microclimate' thermostat. I think it's just one of those on/off ones. I want to get a pulse proportional one but I have to buy a new car right now so I'm kinda broke. I have turned it up a tiny bit but I'm just worried about cooking her. She has been spending most of her time under her water bowl in the cool end anyway so I figure she wasnt too worried about being too cold.

Thank you so much for replying and easing my mind a bit. It helps for peace of mind to have a second opinion.

She'll be fine, snakes shed when they shed, my woma once shed after 3 weeks and totally out of the blue, her last shed was over 60 days from her previous shed and showed signs of shedding for a couple of weeks. I've had my Pygmy since May and he hasn't shed with me yet, he feeds every 10-14 days or so, he usually doesn't go strait for it though, I leave it on the warm end of his enclosure, under the paper towel and it'll be gone within a couple of hours. My pygmy also spends the most of his time under the paper towel, I just changed his substrate to kritters crumble a couple of days ago so I covered his hide (toilet roll folded in half) under a heap of the substrate to imitate a burrow...

You baby looks fine, she will shed when she needs too... someone correct me if I'm wrong but Pygmy's generally don't shed as often apparently as they are so small. The breeder also told me not to feed mine weekly as he is small and takes a bit longer to digest his food.

Yeah, she hasnt really gotten much longer though measuring her is more of an approximation than actual accuracy since she wont sit still. Does your pygmy prefer the kritter's crumble to the paper towel? Cause I was thinking of changing her substrate from paper towel but I wasn't sure what to use. I was considering that recycled paper cat litter but she is so small and if she wanted to try and bury in it I was worried it would be tough for her to do that. She doesnt usually try and hide under her paper towel but I have a few hiding spots in her little enclosure so maybe she cant or cant be bothered to.

Very interesting additional facts about pygmy's I shall file them away in Miki's notebook for future reference. Thank you equinny

Does your pygmy prefer the kritter's crumble to the paper towel? Cause I was thinking of changing her substrate from paper towel but I wasn't sure what to use.

I honestly think he doesn't give a stuff... Although I love Kritters Crumble for my other pythons, I am considering going back to paper towel for the Pygmy. I haven't fed him on the Kritters Crumble yet, but I know with my others that a little bit gets stuck on the rodent. Not a huge problem with my other pythons but they don't weight the amount of a few grains of rice... I think he would likely become impacted if he consumed it... perhaps maybe changing him to the coarse KC would be better...

I am pretty sure I will have paper towel under the lot and only use KC in half of his enclosure, as he seemed to like going under his paper towel and that way I can somewhat avoid him consuming his substrate.

My pygmy has never tried to burrow in the KC. He does like the burrow I created for him though.

By the way... I mentioned in another thread that yours looked very similar to mine, and I'm curious as to who was the breeder, I have a feeling we may have a brother and sister :)

I got her from a breeder through this site. He is in port macquarie. Her birthday is 5.12.10. I have kept the paper towel in her enclosure because I have been worried about impaction. She is so small. Even my brother's girlfriend who was nervous about the idea of me bringing a snake into the house to live (they live with us right now) loves her to bits because she is so tiny and not scary. She hates the camera though. She has never gotten truly snappy with me but the most annoyed Ive see her is when I pull the camera out so I try to restrain myself and not do it often.

The breeder of mine if from Laurieton :)

Mine is the most placid and docile thing I have ever seen, never snappy, flighty, always docile... it's more like an earth worm than a snake.... lol

Yeah, thats it Laurieton, only I keep saying port cause thats how I knew which direction to start driving. Lol, Im pretty sure they are brother and sister hey. She is the same. A perfect first snake really because she is so placid. My bf calls her my worm. When I have her out she either goes up my sleeve or curls up in my pocket and just sits there. She only gets really active when I'm trying to put her back and she is trying to go back up my sleeve. You have to get some pics up of Freddie. I would love to see him!

Michael Banicek? I'm pretty sure mine was born in November though... could be wrong.

There are a few floating around :)

Here's a couple more... :)

229549_10150609766115398_644075397_18374973_3572386_n.jpg

222659_10150609766190398_644075397_18374974_7012965_n.jpg

They're not the best pics, really old camera phone... must find my camera charger!

Yup, Michael is the guy. Was really good to deal with. Asked me questions and gave advice, I like that. Freddie looks so much like Miki. He is so cute!

Yeah he was great, I bought mine at the reptile show in May.. out in west Sydney somewhere... even though the reptile show was hectic and there were people everywhere looking at what he had, he was able to take the time to talk to me and give advice etc. Really really happy with my purchase!! Went in after a Diamond, came out with a Pygmy. hehe

Even though I told myself 5 is the limit (until I go up to R2), I imagine I will be after another Pygmy in the future!!

Yeah same. I would like to try and breed them at some point. If I wasnt so broke at the time I woulda come out of the place with Miki and a pygmy beardie. His wife breeds them and they were sooo cute. I think they are on my list too.

Update: My Miki finally ate! I was starting to really get concerned. She hasn't shed so I can't account for her choosing to fast but at least she is eating. Yay! Yay! Yay! It really made my day seeing her grab that pinkie I gave her.

i have had a pm from the same breader, im going to get a pygmy next month. i cannot friggen wait. only question i have is what do you guys feed them? i have a mate who has said he feeds his mouse tails but i have also read that you can feed them new born pinkie pups? they look to small for pinkies? but i guess some pythons can eat a dear and dont look like they could?

cheers snake newbie,

My scub python hasnt eaten or gone to the toilet in five weeks

Hello snake lovers im only a beginner but surely theres a problem here... Ive had my 7ft scrubby for 5wks and he has been offered baby mice but turned his head away i have been putting a live baby rat in the enclosure but hes not interested and i hate to say but im sure they have become friends as i caught them both basking on the rock near the heat together . On cleaning the tank i noticed he hasnt even gone to the toilet in all that time now that cant be right how long until i should worry ?????

your a beginner and you started of with a 7ft scrubby? sounds like a good way to get hurt. i am sure hed like something larger than a baby mouse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back