New Scrub

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_snake

Reaction score
Hi there!

Tomorrow I'm getting my first scrub (amethystine), it's a 4-5ft female from a friend, so I'd like to know what's the best substrate to use (not paper). I like coconout fiber plus some dry leaves, but don't know if it's the best or should I use other kind of substrate. Should I put a hide on the branches and another one in the floor? For the water, is it better to put a bowl in which the snake fits in, or not necessarily?
About the food, how often should it be feed? Read different things, so better asking.

Talking about lenght, do males grow larger than females? I've read both sides, and I've seen some gigantic males pics and videos, so don't really know what to think about.

Thanks!!

P.S: Sorry for my english!

At that size I would say a close to adult and adult rats to feed it, once every 2-3 weeks except in winter as their metabolism slows with the cold, so don't need to eat as often, it's once every 7-10 days when they are young and growing fast but you could stick to that if you want but risk overfeeding them at the age your one is likely to be.
Having a bowl big enough for them to cool themselves in and retain moisture leading up to a shed seems to be the go, so I'd stick with that.

Water bowl for cooling I'm not sure, mine just gets a small one to drink out of, she loves climbing and if it's too hot she sleeps up in the top shelf of the rack/part of the tank and I put the ceiling fan on (my critters have loovers and curtains infont of them and in another part of the room that I open each day to give them some airflow, light and a breeze until night time except on cold/too windy days).
When going to shed mine goes under the newspaper or under the bottom shelf of the rack that's in there to conserve her moisture and have more humidity leading up to one.
We already have a high humidity in the air up here, she has hides if she needs to retain more moisture and she get's cooling breezes daily and climbs to the top if hot, hence why I didn't add a large water dish.

Wouldn't have a clue on the size difference between the sexes, as you have said the info out there can be inconsistent.

Hi,

how much experience do you have with snakes?

I've been owning snakes for 7 years, most of them calm ones, but I have experience with angry ones, and using hooks if needed. I know they are very temperamental and you can never trust them, I'm aware of that things :p
Just got the opportunity, and took the step! :)

At that size I would say a close to adult and adult rats to feed it, once every 2-3 weeks except in winter as their metabolism slows with the cold, so don't need to eat as often, it's once every 7-10 days when they are young and growing fast but you could stick to that if you want but risk overfeeding them at the age your one is likely to be.
Having a bowl big enough for them to cool themselves in and retain moisture leading up to a shed seems to be the go, so I'd stick with that.

Water bowl for cooling I'm not sure, mine just gets a small one to drink out of, she loves climbing and if it's too hot she sleeps up in the top shelf of the rack/part of the tank and I put the ceiling fan on (my critters have loovers and curtains infont of them and in another part of the room that I open each day to give them some airflow, light and a breeze until night time except on cold/too windy days).
When going to shed mine goes under the newspaper or under the bottom shelf of the rack that's in there to conserve her moisture and have more humidity leading up to one.
We already have a high humidity in the air up here, she has hides if she needs to retain more moisture and she get's cooling breezes daily and climbs to the top if hot, hence why I didn't add a large water dish.

Wouldn't have a clue on the size difference between the sexes, as you have said the info out there can be inconsistent.

Thank you very much for the info!
Do you think it's a good idea using coconout fiber? It conserves the moisture very well if sprayed.

Not sure sorry, haven't used the stuff for reptiles before, someone else on here might have, try to start a new thread about it to get it more noticed, title for example: Is coconut fibre ok to use for pythons?

Hi,

Well, for pythons it is, I've used it for pythons, boas and geckos lots of times and did very well, if eaten by mistake does nothing. I asked cause I don't know if it's better to put a more consistent substrate like soil-sand mix or any other thing (I don't like paper, looks so artificial even though it's good to control things for quarantine...). Guess I'm gonna give it a go and see.

Thanks!

Hi!

I put her in a quarantine enclosure for a few days. When I finish the terrarium, I'll post some pics! She already defecated well and goes for 'nocturnal walks', so it looks like she's well in there.
These are mobile quality, so don't expect to be perfect haha!

2w6sc8y.jpg

fk5emg.jpg

10q9par.jpg

What do you think about the locality? Was sold as a sorong, and it looks like, but some people said it looks like a jayapura too... Certainly it's a bar neck haha
Btw, she's 4+ ft.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, she is way thinner and smaller head than I thought she'd be, not close to adult-adult rats then, probably only mid aged ones or fuzzies for now.

wow really nice little scrubby, I've always wanted one but just do not have the space when they get xtra large. Fuzzies would be my call on feed size mate, good luck and enjoy.

Feeding your new scrub python

After your scrub python has settled in (at least 3 days) I suggest you start it on something small like a medium rat. After about a week after the initial feed try it on a medium sized rooster, about 3-4 weeks old. If you can get a regular supply of young roosters you won't be out of pocket. I try to feed my scrubbies each fortnight or after they have defecated. You should ensure that there is a place in the cage where your python can warm itself when required especially after it has eaten a large meal. It is good practice to vary your animals diet so I suggest one rat after three meals of roosters. You should not assume that the food you feed your scrubby is worm free so don't forget to worm your python through the year. Hope this information was helpful.

Hi there!

Tomorrow I'm getting my first scrub (amethystine), it's a 4-5ft female from a friend, so I'd like to know what's the best substrate to use (not paper). I like coconout fiber plus some dry leaves, but don't know if it's the best or should I use other kind of substrate. Should I put a hide on the branches and another one in the floor? For the water, is it better to put a bowl in which the snake fits in, or not necessarily?
About the food, how often should it be feed? Read different things, so better asking.

Talking about lenght, do males grow larger than females? I've read both sides, and I've seen some gigantic males pics and videos, so don't really know what to think about.

Thanks!!

P.S: Sorry for my english!

Ok, she is way thinner and smaller head than I thought she'd be, not close to adult-adult rats then, probably only mid aged ones or fuzzies for now.

wow really nice little scrubby, I've always wanted one but just do not have the space when they get xtra large. Fuzzies would be my call on feed size mate, good luck and enjoy.

Yeah, I'll go by intuition on the prey size, just like always done :D I was more dubitative about the frequency.
Thanks mate, she's really beautiful!

After your scrub python has settled in (at least 3 days) I suggest you start it on something small like a medium rat. After about a week after the initial feed try it on a medium sized rooster, about 3-4 weeks old. If you can get a regular supply of young roosters you won't be out of pocket. I try to feed my scrubbies each fortnight or after they have defecated. You should ensure that there is a place in the cage where your python can warm itself when required especially after it has eaten a large meal. It is good practice to vary your animals diet so I suggest one rat after three meals of roosters. You should not assume that the food you feed your scrubby is worm free so don't forget to worm your python through the year. Hope this information was helpful.

When you say roosters, do you mean it's better for them to be fed on birds, or because of the money? If the second, that's no problem at all, I know a guy who provides me with cheap rats that he breds. I do offer a variety of meals for my snakes, going on rats, rabbits, quails and chickens (with no head, feet and feathers). I'll feed her every fortnight then!
About the heat thing, I've got a thermostat controlling the heat source (it'll be a ceramic bulb) set to 32ºC by day and 27ºC by night, with the rest of the enclosure cooler. Sure about the worm thing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back