New snake has scale discolouration

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarok

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently got a year old, female stimsons python (Maze). She is highly active and eats easliy, although i have noticed discolouration on her under belly and under neck regions. I assumed it was scale burn or rot since it was the closest comparison i could find and this morning found her coiled around her heat lamp (just brought cage for lamp this morning). Although staff at reptile store said it looked like neither of my diagnosises and am going to take her to vet on Saturday.

Was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks Jule20220406_084514.jpg20220406_074417.jpg20220329_214841.jpg

Well you have a picture of your snake wrapped around a light for one… have you ever touched a light globe whilst it’s on?

wouldn’t trust a reptile store for their diagnosis for diddly squat, go to a reptile vet, that’s what they get paid to do. Reptile stores shouldn’t be giving out “diagnosis, they can get in trouble for it. Same with individuals giving diagnosis
Is that her heat globe or just UV? Picture of full setup?

Well you have a picture of your snake wrapped around a light for one… have you ever touched a light globe whilst it’s on?

wouldn’t trust a reptile store for their diagnosis for diddly squat, go to a reptile vet, that’s what they get paid to do. Reptile stores shouldn’t be giving out “diagnosis, they can get in trouble for it. Same with individuals giving diagnosis
Is that her heat globe or just UV? Picture of full setup?
Yeah the lamp was off when she was coiled around it she hasnt been on the lamp when it was on from what i have seen and i brought a lamp cage today as soon as i saw so she cant reach it anymore.

Reptile store just pretty much said that it didnt look very scabby like scale burn and gave me a card to a good vet to see in the area so i can get her checked up on. I dont know the excat lamp that is in there as i got the whole set up as well as the snake from a friend, although I am 80% sure its just a uv since she has a ceramic heat lamp to ensure air temp is constant.

Definitely going to vet and talking to them more about how i can better her and her enclosure, because posted same post on Facebook and apparently there is lots that i can do to make it safer. Its just so hard finding good information about reptiles on google unless i go to someone who has yrs of experience and even then there is conflicting ideas betweem keepers.

Thanks, Jule

...looks like a burn and that picture of it intertwined with a burn device AKA compact fluro is another clue.

A vet will gleefully take your money in exchange for giving you this redundant diagnosis and some topical medication which will do little if anything and you could have bought over the counter for a tiny fraction of the cost, and most likely some other expensive quackery.

Keep it clean and dry, it'll go into a slough soon, and disturbing it (such as bagging it up and taking it for a drive to somewhere where it will get handled etc then rebagged etc) while in that state is harmful, not to mention expensive.

And for goodness' sake, get rid of the light.

Give it a secure hide where it can coil up very tightly, at a comfortable temperature.

Don't handle it at this time. Leave it as undisturbed as possible.

...looks like a burn and that picture of it intertwined with a burn device AKA compact fluro is another clue.

A vet will gleefully take your money in exchange for giving you this redundant diagnosis and some topical medication which will do little if anything and you could have bought over the counter for a tiny fraction of the cost, and most likely some other expensive quackery.

Keep it clean and dry, it'll go into a slough soon, and disturbing it (such as bagging it up and taking it for a drive to somewhere where it will get handled etc then rebagged etc) while in that state is harmful, not to mention expensive.

And for goodness' sake, get rid of the light.

Give it a secure hide where it can coil up very tightly, at a comfortable temperature.

Don't handle it at this time. Leave it as undisturbed as possible.
Dont worry i have fixed the light, and thanks for the information

Latest posts

Back