New Snake Owner, Anyone have any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger9

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about to be a new snake owner, I am thinking of buying a Bredli Centralian Carpet Python male hachling, I live in Sydney. Was wondering if there is any information I should know about before buying my snake and enclosure, how long do I need to keep it in a tub before I can place it in its mature sized enclosure. I was also told that a male may be better for handling and I will be handling him at least 1-2 times a day not including shedding days and the day of and after feeding. How is the temperament of these snakes? Does anyone own one of these snakes? I know that Children's and Spotted python would also be a good choice also but I am leaning more towards a Bredli.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Ginger

I have a 1.5yr old female bredli and she is so lovely, I've never had any troubles with her, very beautifully natured and easily handled snake. I just have a heat cord under a tile set at 33 degrees C. :)

I think it's best you set everything up before buying a snake.

Depending on size (probably a yearling) it can go into a medium sized tank (40x40) straight away however you can get a large tub.

When you get your snake don't handle it for about a week to let it settle in.

One section of the enclosure should ALWAYS be heated (unless you are planning on breeding but that's another story for someone else to tell you) at 32-34°c usually this is done where the hide is with either a heat mat or heat cord. (i use a 5w Mat for my bredli)

DONT FORGET YOUR THERMOSTAT!

What I recommend doing is setting up the tub before going out to get your new little friend so you know everything works! Pick up a book called "keeping and breeding Aussie pythons" -by mike swan

Wonderful book with so much info.

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping.
A bredli is a great choice for a first snake, however you have to remember that all snakes are individual animals, so while there's every chance you will get a placid one, you also might get a snappy one. You need to keep this in mind.
Bl69aze has given you some good advice already. To answer your questions: a young python can stay in a tub until it outgrows it. It doesn't make a difference what sex you get; we've had good and bad handlers in both sexes. Handling needs to come gradually, let your hatchie settle in for a week or so, only putting your hand in to change the water or clean. I would recommend leaving your python for 48 hours after feeding before handling. Don't feed your new one for a few days when you bring it home; let it settle in.
And don't worry about getting an enclosure. You'll have plenty of time while you get to know your new python, and get comfortable in looking after it.

Hi Ginger, it's great that you're doing your research first.

My go to for newbies to reptile keeping is to recommend reading a few articles by Doc Roc (Southern cross reptiles), here's the link, the first 3 are a must read, and number 13 is specifically for Bredli's
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

Concise, easy to read info about the basics for keeping a happy, healthy snake. Enjoy.

Everyone has given some excellent information, the only thing I would add is to do with handling.

Handling twice a day, (even after the adjustment period, and without food in it's belly), is a bit much IMO, especially for a hatchling. Baby snakes can be pretty defensive and jittery due to their size, remember that in the wild they would be prey for larger animals, and your hand can be threatening!

With handling a hatchy there isn't really a set amount, but I personally would put the max at once a day, to every two days, depending on the temperament of the snake. Too much handling can stress out a snake very quickly, making it go off eating, and possibly more defensive.

Again, it depends very much on the snake, but I'm speaking generally.

Just something to consider,
Good luck :)

Thank you so much guys, I still have lots to read and more information to absorb, all your tips are helpful, I will be careful with how many times I handle him and make sure I dont stress him out, I still want to wait at least another month to make sure I have all the things I need and they are all in working Order. Can anyone give me a list of what they bought or have for their bredli, and which substrate do you use, there are so many options, I dont know what to get. I thought red desert sand would look good and I used it with my Bearded dragons but I dont know if its ok for snakes.

Thank so much guys!!!
Ginger

Thank you so much guys, I still have lots to read and more information to absorb, all your tips are helpful, I will be careful with how many times I handle him and make sure I dont stress him out, I still want to wait at least another month to make sure I have all the things I need and they are all in working Order. Can anyone give me a list of what they bought or have for their bredli, and which substrate do you use, there are so many options, I dont know what to get. I thought red desert sand would look good and I used it with my Bearded dragons but I dont know if its ok for snakes.

Thank so much guys!!!
Ginger
What I currently have for my bredli is:

5w heat mat
A snug hide (I used a coffee container lid with a decent hole cut out of side)
Paper for base, but I use kritters crumble for the bigger enclosures, some people continue using paper, but it's up to you really,

A small ramekin dish for water
And 2 dowels for climbing :)

Optional is a rough but not sharp rock to assist with shedding :)

Edit: it is preferable not to use a fine substrate for smaller snakes as there is a chance for ingestion and that's no good!

Sand is a no-no for snakes. It can get under their scales.
While you keep it in a tub, the best substrate you can use is paper towel. Once you move it into an enclosure, your choice of substrate is entirely up to you. Newspaper, recycled paper kitty litter, kritter krumble, aspen bedding are all good options.

Would Aspen be good as well? I may stick to paper towels in the tub until it becomes big enough to live in the full enclosure. What would the best things I need in the tub? Is it a good idea to feed them in the tub or would I need to put him in a bigger area for more space while eating?

Last edited:
@Ginger9 1 thing that has not been mentioned in the previous posts is how big a Bredli can get, I personally have seen them up to 3 m and 15 kg, at this size they can be very scary for some people and they then don't get handled very often, it is amazing how quickly our charges can go from a piece of string to a big thick mooring rope, so please take this into consideration when choosing a species. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Would Aspen be good as well? I may stick to paper towels in the tub until it becomes big enough to live in the full enclosure. What would the best things I need in the tub? Is it a good idea to feed them in the tub or would I need to put him in a bigger area for more space while eating?
Aspen bedding is fine. In the tub, all you really need is the paper towel as substrate, a hide, a water bowl big enough it can curl up in, and a small rock (not a smooth pebble) to help shedding. And yes, you can feed it in the tub. Get yourself some tongs to feed with, that way the snake won't associate your hand with food when you go to pick it up or change the water.
For heating, a small heat mat under one third of the tub will do the job.

I am not scared of the size, I would rather get a big snake to begin with but I would like to go grow with it and I want to get used to handling it well while its easier. Also with the heating mat, Is that all the heating a hachling needs until it can go into its full size enclosure? I have a heating mat but It might be abit bigger than 1/3 - 1/2 of the tub, does that mean i leave some of the heating mat exposed ( not under the tub )?

Again thank you so much for all the help and information!!!!! I am really happy with the responses :)
Thank you
Ginger

And what are your thoughts on a 120 x 40 x 47 enclosure?

Any more than a third of the tub, and you won't get a good heat gradient, a warm end and a cool end. And that's the only heating you need for a tub. What size tub do you plan on using?
120 x 50 x50 (roughly) is a good minimum size for a bredli IMO.

Ok Ill keep the heat to 1/3 of the tub, I am unsure what tub to use probably will buy the one that he comes in, around 300mm long 200mm wide 150mm high

If you buy a tub, look at the Sistema brand ones. They are great for snakes with the latches ln the kid.

Ok Tomorrow is the day I go to pick the hatchie I want!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know the signs to watch out for regarding good temperament and not too nippy? Anything else that I should be reminded about or know before tomorrow??
CANT WAIT!!!!

Best advice is to remember to be confident and not nervous or hesitant when handling them.
Have you tested your setup to make sure you have correct temps?

Yep, Everything is ready to go, and I will keep that in mind pinefamily thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back