Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondance

Reaction score
Morisset, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hi everyone! I'm Moondance...
I'm new to the world of reptiles, but years ago I thought about getting some and I've always had a fascination with geckos. Snakes scare the living bejesus out of me, but geckos and lizards are love.

My best friend has what I believe is a leaf tailed gecko? Or maybe a wide tailed gecko. She also has a tiny baby water dragon. My brother also has 3 tiny water dragons.

I'm looking at getting my first reptile, I just need to complete the process of getting the reptile keepers licence and set up my tank. I got given one of those Pet One Reptile Enclosures with the glass sliding doors a couple years ago. Still in all good nick, its just been sitting in my shed mostly, but has also been used to house mice at one point.

So, I'm here to likely ask a LOT of questions before I go about getting the licence (I need some time anyway, I need to save the funds to pay for the licence, as car rego must come first, of course).

So anyway..................... HI!

Hey and welcome, geckos are definitely my favourite and are a great choice of reptile to keep. I've got heaps of geckos are find they all have their own personalities, what are some geckos you'd like to keep? :)

HI moondance welcome, im just up the road (kind of) in newcastle. I keep geckos myself, of the knobtail variety. Feel free to pm me if you need advice

Hi Reptiles101.
I think some of the varieties I fancy most are the Marbled Gecko, the Fat Tailed Gecko, Velvet Gecko, Thick Tailed Gecko... I'm still researching the different varieties available. I keep finding so much conflicting info.

I think the one my friend has (who I adore, he likes running up and down my arms) is called a Leaf Tailed Gecko? Not 100%.
She also has a water dragon, and my brother has 3 water dragons, which I also think are pretty neat. Both of theirs are pretty tiny at the moment.
I just adore the gecko though, he looks like a tiny crocodile in the face. LOL

At the moment I'm looking to find out what varieties you're legally able to keep without a licence. I'm not a person with a huge budget, so the fees for the licence are deterring me a bit at the moment, as I think its for 2 years? Or one year, or something. Seems sucky to have to pay every couple years. I don't even understand what the licence is really for....

Hi Moondance,

i live not too far from you! Welcome to the world of reptiles.

In regards to your last post, as far as I'm aware you are not able to legally keep any native reptiles without a reptile keepers license. The license is there so that the NSW parks and wildlife can keep an eye on who owns and breeds reptiles so that they can kerb the instances of introduced species and the catching of native species from the wild.

For more information, click on the following link and it should help answer some of your questions.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/a...egory=organisms&subCategory=wildlife licences

Also if your budget is limited, you should think about whether or not having a reptile is for you. They do cost a bit to look after properly, there is the food, but also bulbs, heaters, extra electricity. Maybe have another think about whether you can afford it now or if it's something you could do in the future.

Good luck with everything!

Another thing to look at if you cant afford the $30 p/y for the license what will you do if it needs to go to the vet?
All reptiles in NSW need a license to be owned so you cannot escape the fee if you wish to keep them.
If you only want 1 gecko you can get the conpanion keepers license but you arr limited to 1 reptile only. But it can always be upgraded. You just have to let them know what one you have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back