New To This

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah01_g

Reaction score
Hi as the title says I'm new to this, I live in Australia and I would like to own a pet snake. I'm looking for some information on: what is the best Australian snake for a beginner, what this snake eats and it's size and where is the best place to buy snakes in Australia?
Thanks

Below is my comment from a similar question 2 days ago on this forum.....https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/posts/2496292/ but as Wally said there is plenty of info on the forum.

There is only 1 option when you are looking to buy your first snake. If I've said this once I must have said it a thousand times, just get something you are passionate about. Don't worry what everyone else tells you because everyone knows better but the truth is only you know what you want.
Everyone will advise you this way and that based on their own experiences but each and every animal is like each and every human being....they are all different with different personalities (for want of a better word to describe them), and different attitudes.
Within 6 months you will buy another so to make sure your interest in the 1st one doesn't wane just go get what you love.

Besides working out which snake you like, we are all here to help with the other questions about enclosures, food and everything in between.

Working out what you want is the first thing though.

Well I live in Brisbane so I was wondering where to buy snakes here and I would like to look at those snakes and see if I like any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was also looking for a smaller snake as it would be better around my family

Thank you for all these suggestions, one of the main things I'm trouble with is finding a quality place to buy a snake

You need to decide what snake you want first.
Then you could try looking through the sales page on the forum for a start.

Get to know people on the forum from your area who might know others who breed.

Definitely do your research first, there's some great info in these articles which I'll link http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

First you will need to find out if you need a Wildlife Licence to keep a snake, in SA you don't need one for owning one reptile, most other states you do.

Once you've read up about them, Maybe go to a few pet shops which sell reptiles and ask to see what they have? And you will get to handle them at the shop. Then get the snake you want, something you really, really love. There's lots of great breeders on this website, also look at Reptiles down under website for sellers.

If in doubt, ask here before you buy, or if you have specific questions relating to enclosures, heating etc, if you search on the forum, there will be a thread for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back