Newbie Breding Question and Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMJF2015

Reaction score
Hi, everyone as you can see I am a new member but I have been browsing the forums for some time now. I just wanted to start by saying no I'm not just and impulser that has no idea what I'm getting into. I have lived with I major breeder of GTP's and various other reptiles so I know whats involved. the only reason why I haven't had my own reptiles up until now, is I have been waiting until such time that I felt I am stable enough to care for them properly. also I am not planning on breeding geckos as some sort of a get rich scheme, at least 95% of my motivation is out of interest and the 5% is out of the fact I could use the money to buy better setups and more reptiles.

I have long had an interest in knob tailed gecko's particularly the levis levis line and especially pilbs. I have done lots of research about keeping and breeding but there are so many questions I either can't find the answer to, or get multiple conflicting answers. I hope to make this thread as a bit of my turn back to in times of doubt bible and with any luck it will clear any confusion/misconcptions for myself and many others.

my questions are.

1: what is the best sand to use, and does it have to be store brought. I live with driving distance of towns such as childers where the sand has that rich red colour and super fine texture. if filtered properly is this okay?

2: I have heard so many different answers to this so I'm just going to ask, what temperatures should the enclosure be at the cool and warm ends for both seasons?

3: what is a good method to know for sure the the sand is not to dry or moist?

4: how often should they be fed in each season and how much by weight?

5: incubation temperatures, I've heard everything from 25 to 31 and apparently the sex can be controlled by this. can someone please elaborate?

6: if a gecko is born (just for examples) in Dec 2014 is it ready to breed in the 2016 season, or is their just a certain weight that must be achieved.

7: I've been looking at 100w 12m heat cords to heat a rack. how many tubs/litres of tubs will that heat. is their a watt to litre conversion method.

8: how big should my tubs be (once again a lot of different opinions heard here) I was thinking of having 6 big tubs for 4 females and 2 males. plus several small tubs for hatchies.

9: could I keep two breeding females together on season, or would they need to be separated. infact if someone could elaborate on the whole when males and females at both juvenile and adult sizes can be separated and kept together thing would be great as I have heard so many different opinions especially about keeping males together when they are juvenile? and I am trying to work out exactly how many tubs I will need as I don't won't to get caught out?

10: some say a female lays 2 clutches per season other say 6. would it be fair to say that a female would lay 4-6 clutches per season, of (mostly) 2 eggs, meaning each female would usually have 8-12 eggs a season. and provided proper care is provided 8 of 10 eggs will survive?

11: how much should I be paying for geckos I am thinking of getting 2 males and 4 females of 12-24months as I am not planning on breeding till later 2015. also what is a fair price to ask for juveniles as I see this varies quite abit?

12: what is the minimum age I should buy/sell a gecko at, as I wouldn't mind getting a baby aswell.

please remember its not that I haven't researched, as I said, most of these questions are ones I have heard too many conflicting answers about. thankyou for taking the time to read this, any help and advice will be much appreciated and not soon forgotten. also I would appreciate if people could keep their answers relatively well structured as I have kept my questions, other wise it just adds to the confusion.

Edit: when I say gecko I mean something along the lines of levis levis

Thankyou

- - - Updated - - -

anything?

- - - Updated - - -

is anyone going to throw a few suggestions in??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back