Newbie- Gecko noise and other reptile suggestions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiff101

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a newb and looking to get my first reptile.

I have been looking into gecko's so far and possibly a thick tailed gecko. But the only problem is i hear they make a lot of noise at night and i wont be allowed to have one if they do!

The main reason i am looking at a gecko is because i wont be able to have an enclosure any larger than around 60x40cm.

So are geckos really that bad with their noise level? and also is there any other suggestion of reptile i may be able to keep in such a small enclosure?

Thanks guys XD

Welcome to APS! :)
Thicktailed geckos are also called barking geckos, but in reality it's more like a squeak in my experience. We had two, and the only time they made any noise was when they felt threatened (usually when I tried to pick them up). They do make a good first reptile, as long as you realize they are nocturnal, so you won't see them very often.
Another suitable reptile for that size tank would be an eastern water skink. They are more handleable, with lots of patience.

I'll second that suggestion , having had one who recently died of old age .... at about 7 - 8 years old.

so how about an eastern water skink ? .... you might keep a full grown adult happy in that size tub if it's got somewhere to dip-n-dive and splash about and opportunities to burrow and climb. And they tame very nicely too and become like mini bluetongues , my Wriggles loved snuggles and was very social and friendly and full of personally, and was , well, a joy to have as a pet.

My shirt pocket was one of her favourate places. Loved snuggling into and exploring her human mommy and daddy. https://aussiepythons.com/forum/sho...ow-us-your-small-skinks?p=2464363#post2464363

She vocalised occasionally if she was VERY EXCITED , she'd make barely audible little barking sounds, first time I heard her I though I was imagining it or she was sick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back