Newbie Snake Owner Questions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MangoPie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm going to be getting my first snake near the end of this month (a Murray Darling Carpet Python Hatchling, to be exact), and I had a small question about heating arrangements?

So far I have most of my setup complete and I've opted to use an overhead heat lamp rather than a heat mat, but I'm not sure if I should go for a ceramic bulb or a regular light-emitting bulb. Owning my blue tongue skink has been easy with just a 150watt bulb that cycles off at night but I'm not sure if something similar is recommended for a snake? I've heard because MDs are more nocturnal it might be confusing for them to have a light shining in their face every day.

I was also curious about what heating arrangements would be best in the winter. I use a night globe for my blue tongue to keep his enclosure warm during the night (since it can get pretty cold here during the day), but I imagine it might be different for a snake?

Besides that, I think I'm pretty much set! I've never owned a snake before but I'm definitely very excited to start.

Have you thought about making a heat log? Either with a mat or a cord, would be cheaper to run than an overhead light, and snakes appreciate the belly heat a bit more usually.

I'm not entirely sure how to make them but I'm sure there are tutorials around. Then just use your light fitting with an LED light for a day/night cycle.

Have you thought about making a heat log? Either with a mat or a cord, would be cheaper to run than an overhead light, and snakes appreciate the belly heat a bit more usually.

I'm not entirely sure how to make them but I'm sure there are tutorials around. Then just use your light fitting with an LED light for a day/night cycle.

Hey there!
I think since this is my first snake and I'm not entirely confident with DIY stuff yet I feel it's best I stick to a more conventional method until I have a feel for what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion though! That sounds interesting I've never seen something like that before

Do you have a picture of your setup? Gives us a better visual for any tips to give :)

I use a CHE with no problem, but people will tell you they are not natural because they don’t emit light, easy way around that? Get some natural sun light in your room

People also swear by Bunnings phillips spot globes they provide heat straight down rather than a che that provides heat all around the globe
[doublepost=1544222345,1544222167][/doublepost]Also make sure you get a cage for the light, they get extremely hot and can burn reptiles on contact

For young snakes I prefer heatmats or heat cord and when they get into a bigger enclosure that allows a better heat gradient, then I use CHE

Do you have a picture of your setup? Gives us a better visual for any tips to give :)

I use a CHE with no problem, but people will tell you they are not natural because they don’t emit light, easy way around that? Get some natural sun light in your room

People also swear by Bunnings phillips spot globes they provide heat straight down rather than a che that provides heat all around the globe
[doublepost=1544222345,1544222167][/doublepost]Also make sure you get a cage for the light, they get extremely hot and can burn reptiles on contact

For young snakes I prefer heatmats or heat cord and when they get into a bigger enclosure that allows a better heat gradient, then I use CHE

DtpBO3NUwAA4Ghp.jpg:medium

Here's a quick picture of my current setup! It's quite dark because of the cover I'm using (need a way to protect my terrarium from my naughty cats)
I think I could look into getting a heat mat, I've been a little nervous about using one due to the risk of burning my snake but I've been assured it should be fine if I have a thermostat. The bottom of the enclosure is made of plastic, I believe? So at least it won't overheat like glass might

I use a CHE on a thermostat to control daytime temps (low 30's) as well as provide a basking site and a low wattage globe for daytime light. Night time temps (low 20's) are maintained with a heat tile (heat cord under a ceramic tile - search for the 'bunnings tile' thread on here ) that runs for a few hours in the middle of the night. Everything is run off timers - well before you put the snake in there play with the times that you have things on for to get to the temps you want.

Last edited:
I use a CHE on a thermostat to control daytime temps (low 30's) as well as provide a basking site and a low wattage globe for daytime light. Night time temps (low 20's) are maintained with a heat tile (heat cord under a ceramic tile - search for the 'bunnings tile' thread on here ) that runs for a few hours in the middle of the night. Everything is run off timers - well before you put the snake in there play with the times that you have things on for to get to the temps you want.

In follow-up to what Nak_ said also check that you have a gradient/cool spot to ensure that your snake has an area to escape from the heat.

DtpBO3NUwAA4Ghp.jpg:medium

Here's a quick picture of my current setup! It's quite dark because of the cover I'm using (need a way to protect my terrarium from my naughty cats)
I think I could look into getting a heat mat, I've been a little nervous about using one due to the risk of burning my snake but I've been assured it should be fine if I have a thermostat. The bottom of the enclosure is made of plastic, I believe? So at least it won't overheat like glass might
if it’s plastic, make sure you 100% get a low wattage like a 5w, it’ll get the right temps, and also yes, use a thermostat with any type of heating

Can't beat a simple 20w heat cord under 1/3 of the enclosure. Connect it to the power supply via a digital programmable timer and Bob's your mum's brother. No expensive juice chewing CHE, or light bulbs or stuffing around with thermostats necessary.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input!
I decided to go get a heat mat in conjunction with a basking light. I'm going to do some temp testing to see which arrangement works well for maintaining day/night temperatures as well as a nice temp gradient. Since it's summer right now I'm not entirely sure if I'll use both at the same time (don't want to overheat the poor fella), but we'll see.

I find my setup looks so much better with some light shining in regardless!
Dt3X7MOVYAIti9Q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back