Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have read and read and read all the information on this site. It has amazed me the depth of knowledge and help that I have gained.

I am in QLD and am looking to get my first snake. Personally I am frightened to the point of ridiculous of them. I wont walk through long grass and although I know snakes are more scared of me than I of them I think they will attack me on every step. In my head I know it is stupid but when the adrenalin starts I freak!

Opposite to this my husband and my kids have loved them forever and have always wanted a pet. So I have given in and agreed. Because of my fear .... eeerrrm, I mean terror..... I would like to get a children's but the rest of my family want a larger snake. I think we will get a hatchling so it will grow on me while it grows!!!

On this note is there an area of this site that lists the species from smallest to largest? I know it is only rough but it surprises me that there isn't a section with basic information layed out simply for newbies. Or maybe I have just missed it.

Another thing I wanted to ask is is it better to buy off a breeder on the marketplace who lives locally to me or is going with a larger well known breeder better? I only have experience with other animals but I would never ever buy a dog / cat / bird off a forum marketplace because I don't know what type of breeders they are. I know if I buy a snake locally I will be able to see the snake before I buy but after reading I realise that all snakes can get / be snappy and that a proven online retailer may be better.

Anyway, I'm sure that I will pester you soon with my annoying and dumb newbie questions (yes I read the "be nice to newbies" thread).

EDIT - Oh yes I forgot I have one more dumb question before I go .... I see pictures of hatchlings and a lot have their heads raised and are in a S pose. Does this often mean that they are ready to strike? Or does a snake often move itself in to the S position just for the fun of it? lol

If you're afraid of snakes then buying one as a hatchie definitely would be the way to go, they're not so intimidating when they're babies.

If you know a local breeder with a good reputation that would be the way I would go as opposed to an online retailer as you will generally find most breeders are happy to keep in contact with you should you have any questions or problems with your new addition :)

As to a list of snakes according to size, I haven't seen one around, if your family would like something larger than a childrens you'll find either a Bredli or Coastal may suit. Coastals get to 7-8ish ft but (generally speakin) they are very placid, my first was a coastal and he's a pussycat :)

Goodluck and welcome to APS :)

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is I don't know if our local breeder has a good reputation or not. They have a few listings on the marketplace and they have no bad feedback but only 1 or 2 good responses. They also have a lot of snakes but not many being purchased.

Love the post gave me a great laugh!if you go to the wiki you will find a basic list of snakes with length. Buy from a breeder someone who's been around a while and has a great rep like southern cross reptiles ect, and snakes curl up in that S because there happy to see you lol

Hi jacevy
Your story is identical to my wife, she was on the verge of phobic and it took 11yrs to bring her around to letting the kids and I to get our first snake. This is my first post and I am NO expert. We did get a spotted python and have found the size is beneficial not only to you but guests as well most people shudder at the thought of being in the same room as a snake, but when they see him most are not intimidated and interest overtakes fear and as for being snappy we never had any issues when we bought him my 8yr old decided he wantedto see what a bite is like and was aloud to let one of the more excited little guys nip him and it wasn't enough to even make him blink We were going to get a hatchling but when we saw some 18 month olds thoght that might be best for a first snake just a bit more settled. We did get him from a great breeder and personally I wouldn't get reptiles any other way now we plenty of other reptiles bought from pet stores and usually there is no relationship after sale, though we haven't had to he is more than happy to help we occasionally send him updates his advice while purchasing was priceless and the comfort of knowing he is there to helpis also priceless. Anyway I am rambling my point is from my limited experience with plenty of handling childrens pythons make a great first snake and the size doesn't matter as I doubt it will be your only snake, we have since got a Darwin carpet and are planning on getting a womma. All the best

lol we r the other way round here hubby hates em I love em! :lol: hopefully with time you love them too. Ive had my coastal since he fit in a toilet roll lol he did the strike position a lot and hissed too but never actually bit me (only tagged me) . I think u have come to the right place for advice lol ive found lots of help here. Welcome and goodluck 8):D theres guys on here that will point u in the right direction re breeders n stuff. I paid $90 for my Gorgoo from a breeder on gumtree.....he is nothing fancy but I love him.

Last edited:
find a good local breeder who can offer advice/ assistance before and after you purchase your python. a childrens is a great first snake to start with i have 2 that are very great handlers. though spotted pythons and stimmi's are great starter pythons too. if he wants something bigger then a darwin hatchie would be great, get it as a hatchie and watch it grown. so you have time to adjust to the snake and hubby gets a bigger snake.

Spotted Python

When I pushed my mum to get a snake we got a spotted python absolutely gorgeous he was we kept Lord Hiss for two years then he had to go due to his over the top aggression but that's a one in a million chance don't get a children's get their close relative the spotted python.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back