nsw reptile licencing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damian83

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
im trying to get monitors soon, i have cbd's at the present time, ive been looking into upgrading my licence but the rule in nsw are rediculous
this caption is from there web page

'Advanced class native animal keeper licences are only available to persons who are over 18 years of age and have at least two years experience in the care and handling of the relevant species of animal (i.e. reptile, bird or amphibian) in a lower class of licence.'

is doesnt explain? it only says

(eg if you want to keep geckoes in the advanced reptile class, you must have kept geckoes from the​
basic class first)

does this mean monitors are out because i havnt kept basic monitors? even though i have kept dragons?

has anyone else had this problem?

you have to keep one of the monitors on the class one lisence for 2 years before you can get the ones on class 2

Class one monitors: ackies, black-head monitors, gillens monitors and i think sand monitors

Correct me if im wrong someone.

Harry

i do want varanus tristis(black tailed) but was thinking panoptes (yellow spotteds)

you have to keep one of the monitors on the class one lisence for 2 years before you can get the ones on class 2

Class one monitors: ackies, black-head monitors, gillens monitors and i think sand monitors

Correct me if im wrong someone.

Harry

yeah your right but i do like the yellow spotteds

Hello Damian,
They put things like that in the requirements to either confuse people or they just have to put something.

Just upgrade your licence and tell them why you want to do so.

If your record keeping is up to date they should just process it.

I got my advance licence by doing one thing...writing a heap of crap and demanding it lol.... No references or anything..
Just write them a good application explaining why you want to upgrade and list your interests and experience...
I didnt get references as i dont know any reptile keepers lol...
Once you get your advance licence you can get what you please regardless of the species....the system is corrupt lol

I thought a reptile keepers licence was a reptile keepers license.

so your saying because I have only kept pythons on a class 1 if I go to class 2 with the intentions of getting a class 2 python (what ever that might be), I can't change my mind and get a class 2 monitor?

do they ask you what you want to keep when upgrading?

You tell them what you want when you apply but it aint really regulated, ive only kept snakes and got a class 2 licence and got into lace monitors...they dont know till the books are in and never said anything... must have better things to do then to cross reference what ive bought to what ive kept in the past...
I thought a reptile keepers licence was a reptile keepers license.

so your saying because I have only kept pythons on a class 1 if I go to class 2 with the intentions of getting a class 2 python (what ever that might be), I can't change my mind and get a class 2 monitor?

My advice would be to not tell them you want class 2 monitors. I just got rejected because I wanted a Lacie but hadn't owned monitors. If I'd just said I wanted a GTP or Roughie I probably could have got it and done what Bez did. However, having said that, I have since bought two Tristis' and I gotta say I'm loving them

I didnt get references as i dont know any reptile keepers lol...
You don't need any references for advanced non-venomous (previously class 2). It's only if you move into vens that you need references. Although I think that's silly too because how are you supposed to get experience unless you own them?
Yes. You have to answer some specific requirements and describe your experiences and basically just waffle on about how good your record keeping has been etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back