Odd Water Python Behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknife

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have an adult female water python, she's great to handle, but every time she gets up under my chin she does something very odd...
She rubs in against my chin or neck and nods her head up and down quite rapidly, all while pushing, almost head-butting into my neck/chin. Think of the motion as a sort of rapid wave, with pressure against my neck.
Now is this predatory behaviour, as she's nearby and can sense my pulse? She doesn't tense up or make any effort to wrap around my neck or constrict me. Most times she's in my hands and simply stretches her body up under my chin to do it.
Is it some sort of scent dealio, something on me or her trying to leave scent?
Is it simply weird water python behaviour, I have noticed since keeping them that they really are odd characters...

Any ideas?

The way I interpret your description of her behavior, she's rubbing against you because your facial hair is tickling or irritating her. Some of mine hate the feeling of grass, whenever they've felt it they proceed to use me as a scratching post.

That makes sense, but sometimes she actually stretches out to my neck to do it. i'll be holding her in my arms and she'll strain directly for my neck and start doing it immediately.
It's quite endearing if not a little creepy hahaha

That makes sense, but sometimes she actually stretches out to my neck to do it. i'll be holding her in my arms and she'll strain directly for my neck and start doing it immediately.
It's quite endearing if not a little creepy hahaha

Probably just heading for the highest point, which is usually around the shoulder level, trying to find their way to a nice dark hide. One of my Roughies has a habit of heading straight for my face, I'm always redirecting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back