Old skin stuck on face!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperReptiles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 11 month old Spotted Python shed recently, the shed was all in one whole piece and looked healthy. Then when I got him out after letting him have a days off resting, I noticed that he still has a small amount of the old skin on the right side of his face. It includes his eye cap.

How can I safely remove the skin without causing stress to him, because he is moving around and acting normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

My 11 month old Spotted Python shed recently, the shed was all in one whole piece and looked healthy. Then when I got him out after letting him have a days off resting, I noticed that he still has a small amount of the old skin on the right side of his face. It includes his eye cap.

How can I safely remove the skin without causing stress to him, because he is moving around and acting normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

Best to get a cloth, I use Chux towels. Wet the towel and let the python pass through your hands at it's own speed coming into contact with the cloth. It may take a few passes but usually does the trick.

Best to get a cloth, I use Chux towels. Wet the towel and let the python pass through your hands at it's own speed coming into contact with the cloth. It may take a few passes but usually does the trick.
I used baby oil, works every time!

Would a microfibre cloth do the trick? The type that is usually used for car polishing or dusting? Just wet it and let him pass through it?

[MENTION=41977]JHReptiles[/MENTION], I find on the rare occasions when my Spotties get any stuck shed around the face anywhere that the best thing to do is put it in a damp pillow case for a couple of hours in it's own warm environment, you will usually find when you take it out that all stuck shed is gone, i don't like poking around the eye's especially for fear of the the snake moving quickly and causing any damage, hope this works for you as well. :) .....................Ron

I used baby oil, works every time!

Don't use baby oil, or anything oily on your snake's skin, ESPECIALLY for shedding issues. The skin separates from the developing layer below by developing a WATER BASED fluid between the two. Adhering sheds are usually caused by insufficient watery fluid between the layers, causing it to adhere to the layer below. Anything oily will repel water when what you need is an increase in moisture between the layers. Soaking in water for a couple of hours, or running through a water-dampened cloth or towel will be far more effective and safer for your snake. Oils, especially mineral oils such as baby oil, are not good for your snake's skin.

Jamie

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up using the small bag that the reptile store gave me when I bought him. I just wet it with warm water and let him move around it. All the skin came off easily :)

Don't use baby oil, or anything oily on your snake's skin, ESPECIALLY for shedding issues. The skin separates from the developing layer below by developing a WATER BASED fluid between the two. Adhering sheds are usually caused by insufficient watery fluid between the layers, causing it to adhere to the layer below. Anything oily will repel water when what you need is an increase in moisture between the layers. Soaking in water for a couple of hours, or running through a water-dampened cloth or towel will be far more effective and safer for your snake. Oils, especially mineral oils such as baby oil, are not good for your snake's skin.

Jamie
Ok but I'm telling you whenever my bhp had sskin stuck to her we used baby oil and it worked every time - Thanks for letting me know though, it was advise given to me ages ago about the oil, if its bad well now I know. I don't have any issues with my current snake in terms of shedding so haven't needed it. I usally try to bump up humidity levels in the enclsoure whenever my snake comes into shed.

I'm glad it worked out for you JHR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back