Old wardrobe conversion to large enclosure for python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delilah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I live in regional SA so getting hold of an extra large enclosure for my python, without paying megabucks, wasn’t going to happen. Inspired by a bunch of internet tutorials, I thought I’d have a shot at converting an old wardrobe.

I’m really happy with the result. The temps are great and my snake seems content with what she has seen so far 👍🏻 I did have a bit of a mishap early on, with a leaking waterhole so I am currently doing a second conversion, this time on a slightly smaller furniture piece. This will be her temporary enclosure (or who knows what else might come along and need it? 😳) while I re-seal the waterhole and do a few other little tweaks in the bigger one.

IMG_0354.jpegIMG_0390.jpegIMG_0397.jpegIMG_0514.jpegIMG_0518.jpegIMG_0424.jpegIMG_0426.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0426.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0576.jpegIMG_0576.jpegIMG_0426.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0424.jpegIMG_0518.jpegIMG_0514.jpegIMG_0397.jpegIMG_0390.jpegIMG_0354.jpeg

Last edited:
hey this is extremely impressive! I cant lie, i opened this post expecting some cringe, but i was pleasantly surprised, well done! Do you have a background in this kind of work? arts/crafts

with this sort of skill you could definitely make a business if you put as much effort as you did into other peoples enclosures!

hey this is extremely impressive! I cant lie, i opened this post expecting some cringe, but i was pleasantly surprised, well done! Do you have a background in this kind of work? arts/crafts

with this sort of skill you could definitely make a business if you put as much effort as you did into other peoples enclosures!
Thanks so much! My line of work is vet nursing but I’ve been artistic for as long as I can remember and dabbled in this and that, over the years. As far as starting a business, it was really fun to build but bloody hard work too. I’m not sure it’s something I would want to do every day 😳

very nice, I've seen a few furniture conversions but this is ace. I love the snake handles
Thank you! Aren’t the handles great!? I ordered them from the UK.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the time to air it out. I built 1 a few years back and aired it out for a few weeks but I don't think it was long enough, my 3YO pygmy banded python died a few months later and I'm thinking it was still gassing out

The only thing I'd be worried about is the time to air it out. I built 1 a few years back and aired it out for a few weeks but I don't think it was long enough, my 3YO pygmy banded python died a few months later and I'm thinking it was still gassing out
Omg! Don’t give me anything else to worry about. I’m already a neurotic newbie. I did make sure I used products with the lowest VOC I could find and then sealed most of the inside with pond sealer, which is obviously made safe for fish, frogs, etc. so hopefully it will be ok.

That is really a great conversion. Looks as if the snake is enjoying his/her new home.

I was worried about the solvents in paint, foam etc too when I built my Rockwall. I ended up using polystyrene, broke up jagged rock shaped pieces and stuck them onto a 20mm thick sheet, then rendered the lot with cement, about 5mm thick. The end result is pretty much real stone, the concrete smell subsided after only a few days. I then used non toxic craft paints to apply colour and seal it. Looks like real stone and the snake can even climb on it.

Hi all, I live in regional SA so getting hold of an extra large enclosure for my python, without paying megabucks, wasn’t going to happen. Inspired by a bunch of internet tutorials, I thought I’d have a shot at converting an old wardrobe.

I’m really happy with the result. The temps are great and my snake seems content with what she has seen so far 👍🏻 I did have a bit of a mishap early on, with a leaking waterhole so I am currently doing a second conversion, this time on a slightly smaller furniture piece. This will be her temporary enclosure (or who knows what else might come along and need it? 😳) while I re-seal the waterhole and do a few other little tweaks in the bigger one.

View attachment 336070View attachment 336071View attachment 336072View attachment 336073View attachment 336074View attachment 336075View attachment 336076View attachment 336080View attachment 336076View attachment 336080View attachment 336081View attachment 336081View attachment 336079View attachment 336080View attachment 336075View attachment 336074View attachment 336073View attachment 336072View attachment 336071View attachment 336070
From experience I'd highly recommend putting a drain in the water feature. I just cut a hole in mine, fitted a sink outlet, and put a pvc tap on the underside.
Really helps when it comes time to clean, I put a bucket underneath and can heavily rinse out the "why would you poop in your water bowl!" Situations.

I was worried about the solvents in paint, foam etc too when I built my Rockwall. I ended up using polystyrene, broke up jagged rock shaped pieces and stuck them onto a 20mm thick sheet, then rendered the lot with cement, about 5mm thick. The end result is pretty much real stone, the concrete smell subsided after only a few days. I then used non toxic craft paints to apply colour and seal it. Looks like real stone and the snake can even climb on it.

From experience I'd highly recommend putting a drain in the water feature. I just cut a hole in mine, fitted a sink outlet, and put a pvc tap on the underside.
Really helps when it comes time to clean, I put a bucket underneath and can heavily rinse out the "why would you poop in your water bowl!" Situations.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate the feedback 👍🏻

I was incredibly picky when I chose my products. I already had some reliable recommendations but I researched further. I don’t usually read material safety data sheets but there I was!! None of the products had any chemical smell AT ALL and I am happy to make recommendations, if that’s allowed.

Great idea, putting in a drain. I’m sure draining and cleaning will wear thin eventually. That said, my snake doesn’t go anywhere near the lower waterhole (as far as I know) 😥

I built another waterhole just beneath her warm hide shelf and it leaked straight away 😡 so I am now building a temporary enclosure for her to go into while I fix this one.

I’d love to see pics of other people’s conversions….

Last edited:
Back