outdoor Diamonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
herptrader said:
I think it worth mentioning that the jury is still out on this subject. I have heard strongly put and fairly convincing arguments to say that UV alone or temperature cycling alone is the critical factor for the long term health of Diamonds and prevents DPS.

Yes i agree that both UV light and cold nights combined are best for diamonds. However, after having an in-depth conversation with a very experienced keeper on this matter i do believe that its the cold nights that the diamonds need more than the UV light.

re outdoor

Zen,diamonds benefit with night time cooling at night outside but ive also seen them go downhill and look faded and soft and get cancers etc it is possibly caused by the fact that they cant escape heat effectively.In the wild they are able to escape hot temperatures usually basking early morning in summer and retreating when it gets hot.Many wild specimens ive observed in summer had retreats underground where they would retreat after basking near the entrance in the morning,these banks are usually close to water ,in turn an abundance of rats,possums and waterbirds are found there.

Thanks Herptrader for your reply.

I'll be sure to provide both U.V and cold nights.

It's become apparent that keeping them outside in an aviary is the best way to go, especially if you live in their natural range.

Simon & Serpenttongue,

I surely won't be trying that 'Stan Chiras' method if those were the results.
Even if you get a clutch, it's not worth killing the parents for it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 'The Rock' have a modified version of this, that was successful and didn't result in ill-health.

Zulu,

Thanks for the insights.
Sounds like it would be wise to provide a cold refuge in a corner of the aviary for them to escape the heat.
Maybe a decent sized pond too, to make it 5-star accommodation. :wink:

Thanks guys,

You've all been a great help.

Cheers, john

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back