Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4Life

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm just curious to see a list of all herps you can keep outdoors all year long in Adelaide. So basically any Australian Reptiles that live in Adelaide or colder places. Here is what I have so far:
(My information was sourced from AROD > Home | AROD.com.au so I apologize if it is a little less than truthful. I find some of these hard to believe myself! I just looked at all the animals whose habitat is really close or in Adelaide so please do tell me if it is a definite no-no to keep outdoors:D)
-Sand Goanna/Goulds Monitor
-Lace Monitor (maybe):oops:
-Heath Monitor
-Eastern Bearded Dragon
-Centralian Bearded Dragon:shock:
-Eastern Water Dragon
(maybe)
-Blotched Blue Tongue
-Western Blue Tongue
-Shingleback
-Eastern and Northern Blue Tongues.
(It just said tiliqua scincoidies, not Tiliqua S Scincoidies or Tliqua S Intermedia:/)
-Carpet Python (Yes it is generic but no further information was provided:cry:)

That is all that I looked at and I found. I only looked at families that I am a fan of so I definitely missed a tonne. Please provide further infromation, advice, corrections and whatever else you want. :D:D:D:D

Most of those are ok with adelaide winters but for monitors i would provide a dry area with a basking spot. Probably would keep carpets outside here.

I know people with beardies, lacies, water dragons, small dragons and most skinks that are keep outside all year round here in adelaide. Provide a dry area over winter with a suitable hide and most will do fine.

Rick

I agree with what Rogue5861 says. There are a few people around Adelaide that keep various reptiles outside in pits and converted aviaries. Sleepies, blue tongues, and beardies seem to be the most common. The only thing I would be curious about is would it shorten their lifespans, compared to keeping them indoors? I doubt there would be any measurable data to compare.
A basking lamp is probably preferred for our winters, and maybe juveniles would not do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back