Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

Reaction score
intersted in hearing other people adventures herping overseas

I went to China at the start of the year, the zoo I visited was disgusting, with all the animals poorly treated.
The herp section hurt to look at.
They had this green snake there and my friend told me that its name translated to "you will die in 6 steps". I dont know what it was though, looked like a viper.
They had a big burmese python in a feather doona! to help keep it warm.
No animal had substrate, their tanks were dirty, no hides, dirty waterbowls, obviously sick animals in with others. It surprized me that the animals even existed.
Sorry to bring a sad story to the thread, but in some parts of the world (well, here too) snakes aren't see through our eyes.
btw I ate snake while I was there, very bony, it was cut into small pieces and fried in crumbs, you ate it like corn -sideways. These animals are all wild caught. My friend served me snake and dog without telling me until we were half way through the meal!! I said' whats this..?" and he said "woof woof". lol I guessed the snake, he told me "he loves em too" - yeah to eat!
cheers
ad

I can dimly remember a small Zoo in Greece in the 70's with two chimps in a small barred box about 3 X 2 X 2 meters. People would toss them lit cigarettes and the apes would smoke them.
It was horrible.

On the opposite end of the scale was the bird park at Singapore, that was fantastic

come on guys some nice stories, It saddens me to hear those one

Went to Borneo in 2001 as well as part of a big trip to SE Asia. There were a lot of sad places like the crocodiles farms and small crappy zoos etc but if you want a nice story I went on a river cruise and it seemed everywhere we looked there was an animal of some sort, the jungle was absolutely brimming with herps such as my controversial lizard piccie and saw some green pit vipers and mangrove snakes and a retic. As well as herps we saw proboscis monkies and slow lorises, and we even saw a wild orang-utan which apparently does not happen often these days.
All those things over the short time of 3 hours, it made my day :D

In the late eighties I spent some time in Tanzania, mainly to see the mammals, but also to look for Herps.
I was pretty sucessful in the time I was there, managing to see Leopard tortoises, Gaboon vipers,Hairy bush vipers, Rock python(eating a monkey) Agama lizards, geckos, house snakes, chameleons to name but a few.
It was an amazing experience and recommend visiting Tanzania, far better than Kenya in my opinion.
Neil

i have been to sydney once its like being overseas soo different millions of water dragons and water skinks large rocks around rivers and red belly blacks it was awsome

The bird park I mentioned has a web site at http://www.birdpark.com.sg/servlet/index . In particular look at the waterfall avary http://www.birdpark.com.sg/attractions/waterfall.shtml . It was the best zoo I have ever seen and almost worth a trip to singapore just to see the avairy.

In Greece in spring ,we would walk in the hills surrounding Athens to find the land tortoises that lived there. An easy way to find them was to listen to them mating, i.e. the sound of the shells bumping together.

I had to stop 4 times in grece and turkey to avoid land tortoises on road. It is lot of them there.

Must be. Some time you can see 4 or 5 together. Lot of kids in europe keep them as pets. They are easy to maintain.

Pinkie said:
Went to Borneo in 2001 as well as part of a big trip to SE Asia. There were a lot of sad places like the crocodiles farms and small crappy zoos etc but if you want a nice story I went on a river cruise and it seemed everywhere we looked there was an animal of some sort, the jungle was absolutely brimming with herps such as my controversial lizard piccie and saw some green pit vipers and mangrove snakes and a retic. As well as herps we saw proboscis monkies and slow lorises, and we even saw a wild orang-utan which apparently does not happen often these days.
All those things over the short time of 3 hours, it made my day :D

I am going next year to Borneo but I am going to stay away from the animal parks, You saw a retic that is so cool did you catch him?
earlier this year we went to Fiji to see the sea kraits one of my fav herps, two years ago spent 3 month in the USA , catching rattle snakes and Gila monsters and fast moving swift.....one day I want to get to madagascar

the furthest i been is tasmania....skinks like blotched blueys and whites skinks were very common down there. I also found a lowland copperhead and a tassie tiger snake....awsome lookn things.

the furthest i been is tasmania....skinks like blotched blueys and whites skinks were very common down there. I also found a lowland copperhead and a tassie tiger snake....awsome lookn things. I intended on finding all 3 species of tasmanian snake but the white-lips were hiding to well.

Ooooh Marc I am jealous, I would to go back to Borneo in a heartbeat! Its an awesome place.
We went to Kota Kinabalu and then went to Sandakan which is where we saw most of the wildlife although we did see a red pit viper in Kinabalu. Sandakan is where we saw the retic, no we couldnt catch him unfortunately because we were in a boat in the river and it was in a tree on the bank of the river, but we took plenty of photos. We held a wild retic and the rehabilitation place there though but only a small one.
Where are you planning to go in Borneo?

I am not to sure a friend of mine just got back from there and he took some unbeleivable photos, we are going with him so he will probable show us around planning to stay for 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back