Panacur

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i am getting a 1 litre bottle for $45 from my vet its expiry date is in may 2008 so at 1/4 ml per kg
it should last a few hundred years :lol:
I chose Panacur over wormout gel mainly because you need a consultation to get the wormout and its straight over the counter for panacur
Wormout was 9 dollars for 50 mls and 13 for 100 same dosage rate but its expiry date was june next year

Panacur comes in different concentrations. I got Panacur 25 which is dosed at 1ml per 250g (according to my sister who is a Vet).

dobermanmick,
As Jonny says, Panacur does come in two strengths, Panacur 25(25mg/ml) and Panacur 100(100mg/ml), so just be careful which one you are using. The dosage I use is 50mg/kg so that would be 2 ml per kilo of Panacur 25 or 1/2 ml per kilo of panacur 100.
I generally use a crop needle and inject it straight down the snakes throat or you can just as easy inject it into the snakes food.

Your vet sold it to you, Your vet should tell you how to use it. He is obliged to do so.
If he doesnt know he shouldnt sell it to you.. I will go through my vet notes. Ive got them somewhere.
What is it 25, 50 or 100.

They told me that it was to be used at 0.4 ml per kilo i have only ordered it will get it monday or tuesday
Your vet sold it to you, Your vet should tell you how to use it. He is obliged to do so.
If he doesnt know he shouldnt sell it to you
I went to them as they are close and they are our dogs vets.
She rang Clayton Knight and he gave them dosage rates
I mainly want to know if there are any easy ways to administer it as this will be the first time i use it
Cheers and thanks

Any hints or tips for using this to worm my snakes ?
Calculate the dose, inject it into food, feed. Repeat weekly for three weeks. Keep the cage extremely clean throughout this period to prevent reinfection. Pretty simple.

This is from another list. It was posted by Tim Nias from Ven lab in SA.

Panacur is quite safe if used correctly.
Panacur comes in several types , Panacur 25 . Panacur 50. Panacur
100. As well as some pastes.
The numbers relate to the amount of Fenbendazole (the active
ingredient)in Panacur that kills the worm.
Panacur 25 has 25mg of Fenbendazole per ml.
Panacur 50 has 50mg of Fenbendazole per ml.
Panacur 100 etc etc .
A good reliable dose rate is 50mg (Fenbendazole) per kg of reptile.
Repeat this dose 10 -14 days later then 10 -14 days later again. (3
doses all up. )
NOTE : thats 50 mg NOT 50 ml.
So if you have Panacur 25 , then a 1 kg reptile will get 2ml.(50MG)
If you have Panacur 50 , then a 1 kg reptile will get 1ml.(50MG)
ETC ETC.
If this confuses you at all, then do nothing and ask for more help,
never administer any drug to any reptile unless you are 100% sure the
dose is accurate.

And this is something else I had. This is a from a vet pharmacutical supplier.

BRAND NAME: PANACUR
AVAILABLE IN
ORAL SUSPENSION
AND GRANULES
BACKGROUND
The care of animals has always included the management of internal parasites. As technology has progressed, the medications developed have become more and more broad in the spectrum of parasites they can eradicate. Fenbendazole is a member of the benzimidizole group of anti-parasite medications which makes it a relatively broad spectrum product.
HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED
Fenbendazole (often abbreviated ?FBZ?) is used in both large and small animals. In dogs, it is useful against roundworms, hookworms, and the more difficult to treat whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the Common tapeworm Dipylidium caninum. It is also effective against giardia, a protozoan and several species of lungworm and even some flukes.
Fenbendazole is rarely required for feline use but can certainly be used safely in the cat. Fenbendazole is not approved by the FDA for use in the cat, however.
SIDE EFFECTS
Some animals experience vomiting/nausea after deworming.
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS
There are no significant drug interactions in small animal use.
CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS
Fenbendazole is considered safe for use in pregnancy in all species.
Treatment is necessary for three consecutive days. Treatment may require a second course depending on which parasite is being treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back