Parasite??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi James
Unfortunately i can't see the pics. If you suspect she has mites, you can put her in an appropriate sized container with plain white paper covering the floor over night. Next morning, look closely for small dark brown critters on the paper. Also, mites tend to go for the neck , under the chin, around the eyes and in the heat pits so have a close look there too. Good luck.

Hi James
Unfortunately i can't see the pics. If you suspect she has mites, you can put her in an appropriate sized container with plain white paper covering the floor over night. Next morning, look closely for small dark brown critters on the paper. Also, mites tend to go for the neck , under the chin, around the eyes and in the heat pits so have a close look there too. Goingod luck.
Itā€™s a worm or caterpillar looking thing, a video

Hi James
Unfortunately i can't see the pics. If you suspect she has mites, you can put her in an appropriate sized container with plain white paper covering the floor over night. Next morning, look closely for small dark brown critters on the paper. Also, mites tend to go for the neck , under the chin, around the eyes and in the heat pits so have a close look there too. Good luck.
E705139C-A2CF-4EAD-BF38-52464ED8ED2E.png
This is a photo of one of them

Well, not mites. What's the other dark wet matter in the pic? Had the snake defecated into the bowl? There seem to be a couple of bugs in the pic, one similar to an insect grub, the other longer one I'm not as sure about, but it doesn't seem to be a worm. More info would be helpful.

Well, not mites. What's the other dark wet matter in the pic? Had the snake defecated into the bowl? There seem to be a couple of bugs in the pic, one similar to an insect grub, the other longer one I'm not as sure about, but it doesn't seem to be a worm. More info would be helpful.
The other stuff in the picture is the substrate (kritters comfort) She had dragged into her bowl, she had defecated on the side of the bowl but not directly in the water, she had fresh water before I went away and thatā€™s what it was like when I got back, I didnā€™t notice anything else other than the worm like creatures that were wriggling around. Havent noticed anything like this before now

Hey, I was cleaning out my diamond pythons enclosure after being away for a few days and noticed a few of these in her water but not sure what they are? Any help and should I see a vet?
View attachment 331652
For those that can't see the Video, try VLC media player. Its free and plays everything.
As for the larvae looking critter it looks like a type of fly larvae, don't think you need to be too concerned. Just replace with clean water.

Ok thanks for your input ill replace bedding and I replaced water as soon as I noticed and sat in boiled water. Thankyou :)

It looks like a beetle larva ā€“ the way it is moving and it seems to be segmented. If it has three pairs of legs at the front end, this would confirm that.
Internal macroscopic worm-shaped parasites tend to lack any dark pigment and are not segmented, except for tapeworms which are ribbon-shaped, immobile, and made up of flattened egag-containing segments that get progressively broader and longer with distance from the head.

Latest posts

Back