Pet for a 2ft x 1ft tank.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLKWDW

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hey everyone i'm after some ides on a pet for or 2ft x 1ft fish tank. we've had fish in it a few times and time for a change. I'm after something mainly for the kids to look after. Are there any reptile or amphibious animals that are small enough to keep or should i look at other pets. Dont want fish as there is a pond being put in outside for them. Not getting one until i get my licence as well( papers have been sent) just after ideas.

Geckos, small dragons, small pythons or small frogs. Really depends if u want a high maintenance pet, terrestial or aboreal, diurnal or nocturnal etc... etc...

Here are a couple of ideas: Mountain Dragons, Red Eye Tree Frogs, Knob-tailed Geckos, Water Skinks, Pygmy Python etc.. etc..

Go a knob tail gecko, very easy species to look after but you need to remember most reptiles doint really like being played with

Green tree frogs! They are child friendly, love being held, great to observe, easy to look after and will happily fit into that tank. Here is a couple of pics of one of my own:

Fredisfixed.png

SAM_0272.jpg

SAM_0275.jpg

SAM_0277.jpg

SAM_0281.jpg

SAM_0313.jpg

Here a picture of their enclosure:

SAM_0314.jpg

Best of luck,
James (Reptilemaniac)

get a nice big tarantula, not a pet to hold by all means but i remember when i was about 6 i loved watching spiders web up and loved feeding them, would also teach them to respect inverts witch is a plus, a nice 16cm 1 will go nice in a 2ft tank, or maybe some hermit crabs.

first of all what state are you in as there are different keeping laws
like in Tasmania axalotles are not aloud to be kept etc. :D

Had axalotles before. How expensive are frogs to buy and i'd need a different licence to the one i applied to for frogs? Tarantula would be awesome but would have to get it past the mrs and what licence do you need for those. I want something that the kids can look after and learn to have a bit of responsibility for well mainly our eldest. Nothing to hard to maintain either.

I'm in nsw. Also the kids dont have to play with it but just look after it.

Frogs are cheap,you would need an amphibian license to keep them though.
As for tarantula's i don't think you need a license.

Well i'm having a hard time getting the mrs to agree to a snake and wouldnt mind a tarantula or scorpion but kids cant really interact with them. So it probably comes down to a lizard or lizards and frogs. Are there any pros and cons for either of them. Probably also more leaning towards a lizard as well so i dont need to apply for another licence. The mountains dragons in the second post look great but cant seem to find any for sale.

anyone??

?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back