Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been so busy at work lately that I have not had time to post. I have spent a fair bit of time back in a frosty Tasmania.

These photos were taken in a much warmer place. They are the combined results of a trip to the Exmouth area in November, 1995, with my son Nicholas and then on a second trip in February, 1997, with a friend from Arizona. Overall, the February trip was not very productive. The grasslands were dry and we saw few diurnal reptiles. It was different at night as well. In November, Nicholas and I saw masses of Northern Spiny-tailed Geckos on the road but I saw hardly any at all in February.

Most of our time was spent near the Lighthouse campground near North West Cape and then in the Cape Range National Park. Here are a few habitat shots of the areas that we visited.

Dry hills at the north end of the Cape Range:
habitat11.jpg

habitat3.jpg

A fossilized reef behind the Lighthouse Campground. This was the home of a pair of Perenties.
habitat6.jpg

Red sand dunes near North West Cape. This area was full of lizards, particularly Ctenophorus femoralis.
habitat8.jpg

habitat10.jpg

habitat12.jpg

Dry, grassy hills of the Cape Range NP.
habitat7.jpg

A gorge at the southern end of the paved road in the Cape Range NP.
habitat9.jpg

For me, the highlight of the visits was finding a pair of Perentie (Varanus giganteus) near the top of a hill behind the Lighthouse Caravan Park. These big monitors had emerged from caves in the ancient reef and were basking in the early morning sun.
Perentie1.jpg

Perentie4.jpg

Perentie2.jpg

Gould's Monitors (V. gouldii) were seen occasionally. This one watched us from the edge of the campground where we stayed.
SandGoanna1.jpg

Long-nosed Dragon (Amphibolurus longirostris) were probably the most widespread diurnal lizard that we encountered.
longnosed1.jpg

longnosed5.jpg

... attempting to keep its entire body in the shade:
longnosed6.jpg

longnosed3.jpg

Any ideas on this dragon? It was found on a dune near the beach and I don't know whether it is a Rankinia parviceps or a Spotted Military Dragon (Ctenophorus maculatus). I cannot see the base of the tail well enough to tell whether or not there are spines.
spottedMilitary1.jpg

Ctenophorus femoralis are sand adapted lizards. We saw many but only on the red dunes not far from North West Cape.
femoralis.jpg

femoralis8.jpg

femoralis2.jpg

Central Military Dragon (Ctenophorus isolepis) -- seemed to be scarce. We only found a few of these.
CentralMilitaryDragon1.jpg

Here is another dragon that I cannot recognize. Is it a Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis) or a Western Netted Dragon (C. reticulatus)?
NettedDragon1a.jpg

I saw but could not get a photo of a Black Collared Dragon (C. clayi). It seems strange that there is a population at North West Cape and then a gap of hundreds of kilometers to the main portion of its range in central Australia.

This Lozenge-marked Dragon (Ctenophorus scutulatus) basked from a can along the road to the south of Exmouth.
lozenge1.jpg

We found a single Moloch on both trips in the vast grassy plains south of Exmouth. Here is a shot of the habitat with scattered termite mounds.
habitat5.jpg

... a Moloch (Moloch horridus)
moloch.jpg

Another interesting dragon was this Diporiphora winneckei that was initially basking right on the road.
diporiphora1.jpg

diporiphora3.jpg

diporiphora4.jpg

Cape Range National Park also protects Ningaloo Reef, the second largest reef in Australia. It really is a gorgeous place to snorkel with crystal clear water and lots of fish. White-tipped and Black-tipped Reef Sharks were abundant and we saw them every time that we went for a swim.
habitat1.jpg

Green Turtles (Chelonia mydas) were nesting here in November. We saw some resting on the beach during the day.
greenTurtle1.jpg

GreenTurtle2.jpg

GreenTurtle3.jpg

... most, however, remained in the water.
habitat2.jpg

Flies were incredible here in November but not too bad in February. In November, it was hard to hear anything other than their buzzing when I tried walking through the grasslands.
flies1.jpg

... a Banksia ashbyi
banksia.jpg

... a beautiful grevillea
grevillea.jpg

Great photos there! Looks like fantastic weather too!

:p

Hix

great pics as usual, love the winneckei, how big was this specimen? I have sone from the alice springs arwa, really nice lizard

AWESOME. What a nice trip for you to take your young bloke on.

also i'd say the dragon is a rankia and the netted looks like a western netted.

Thanks for the comments.

Hornet, I am just guessing now but the winneckei was not large, maybe 10cm. It was a nice looking dragon. I was driving a little over a 100kph and saw it standing in the road. I was able to drive right over it and it did not move at all. We turned the car around and headed back only to find it still standing in the centre of the road. It seems heavy bodied so I assume that it was a gravid female.

Regards,
David

WOW amazing photos. i loved looking at them. its great to see such a huge variety of reptiles there :)

Hello Jonno,

Only a few ... in the next post about the nocturnals.

Regards,
David

Fantastic pics Moloch, well done again,
Your threads always make me want to get in the car and go!
Cheers
Adam.

Awesome pictures once again, David! They always make we want to get into the field!

I don't know how you manage to make so many wonderful trips, but well done!

Thanks all.

Stewart (ReptilesDownUnder) kindly pointed out to me that my first unknown dragon must be a Spotted Military Dragon (Ctenophorus maculatus) since it has a conspicuous tympanum. Rankinia parviceps has a hidden tympanum. This dragon must be C. maculatus badius based on its distribution. It certainly was pale when compared with those from Kalbarri.

Regards,
David

Here are a few more pics of the area:

... along the drive north to Exmouth:
termite1.jpg

... the northern end of the Cape Range
habitat14.jpg

habitat17.jpg

Euros were abundant and made driving at night hazardous. I usually did not exceed 40kph at night in the national park but one of these still managed to head but one of the car doors.
euro3.jpg

... euros make use of whatever cover they can find during the day. These were sheltering beneath mangroves.
euro2.jpg

... life seems hard for them in the summer.
euro.jpg

Here is another Central Military Dragon, male, in breeding colours:
CentralMilitaryDragon2.jpg

... a baby dragon. I think that it is a Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis)
ctenophorusbaby.jpg

Another Gould's Monitor (Sand Goanna)
gouldi1.jpg

Top photos and an awsome looking area. May have to visit. November !! Might think about September :lol: Again , excellent post mate ;)Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back