Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamgo

Reaction score
[/attach][/attach]

Attachments

• jamies 004.jpg
    jamies 004.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 132
  • jamies 090.jpg
    jamies 090.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 224
  • jamies 056.jpg
    jamies 056.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 115
the trip was to windorah

[/attach]

Attachments

• jamies 101.jpg
    jamies 101.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 133
  • jamies 071.jpg
    jamies 071.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 300
hey,
nice pics, that moniter looks big was he or just the look in the pic ??

cheers snake

Hi Jamgo,

Where exactly did you see the DOR Aspidites melanocephalus? Windorah is typically woma, rather than BHP country, or was this a specimen you saw enroute?

Cheers

David

any idea wat kind of moniter he was ?? still pretty new to reptiles

snake

hi toxinologist the black head came has a shock to me it was run over 94kms south east of windorah on the windorah quilpie road

Hi Jamgo,

94 km SE of Windorah puts you at at 26°16'45.3"S 143°34'36.2"E which should be fairly close to Kangaroo Creek about half way between the Warrabin and Byrock Station turnoffs?

If that is the case then you really should have thrown this snake in the Esky and deposited it with the Qld Museum, since a search of Museum records suggests this is the most southerly specimen yet found in and around the fringes of the Channel Country. It may infact be THE most southerly legitimate record for this species - there is a specimen from just east of Cockatoo (25°41'12.2"S 150°10'26.6"E) and of course there may well be other non-Museum records below the 25°S mark, but for now pat yourself on the back for a truly great find.

The other records are from Windorah ( QM J10308 ), Stonehenge ( QM J73843 ), Westerton ( QM J62214 ) and Diamentina Lakes ( QM J60713 ). I suggest you write a short letter to Patrick Couper at the Queensland Museum, giving the details of your snake sighting - date, location and a copy of the photo - that way it can be recorded as a reliable sighting in the Museum records.

Good onya mate!!

Cheers

David

hi toxinologist i wasn't using a gps i was just going off speedo on car and direction of the road run se to quilpie it was very close to thylungra on kyabra creek crossing so looking on my map its about 120km se on diamantina developmental road

Hi Jamgo,

94 km SE of Windorah puts you at at 26°16'45.3"S 143°34'36.2"E which should be fairly close to Kangaroo Creek about half way between the Warrabin and Byrock Station turnoffs?

If that is the case then you really should have thrown this snake in the Esky and deposited it with the Qld Museum, since a search of Museum records suggests this is the most southerly specimen yet found in and around the fringes of the Channel Country. It may infact be THE most southerly legitimate record for this species - there is a specimen from just east of Cockatoo (25°41'12.2"S 150°10'26.6"E) and of course there may well be other non-Museum records below the 25°S mark, but for now pat yourself on the back for a truly great find.

The other records are from Windorah ( QM J10308 ), Stonehenge ( QM J73843 ), Westerton ( QM J62214 ) and Diamentina Lakes ( QM J60713 ). I suggest you write a short letter to Patrick Couper at the Queensland Museum, giving the details of your snake sighting - date, location and a copy of the photo - that way it can be recorded as a reliable sighting in the Museum records.

Good onya mate!!

Cheers

David

Hey David,

A.melanocephalus have been found in Birdsville, according to the NPWS ranger there (I think his name was Don). I believe some members of this forum also keep and bred some Birdsville locality BHP's. No doubt they travel all along the watercourses out there.

Thats an awesome yellow spotted monitor, i have a feeling he doesnt like photos :lol:

bhps are occasionally found at charleville, which is further south than quilpie/windora.

Charleville is considerably further south than Windorah but not further south than Quilpie.

Charleville is situated 26°24'11.9"S 146°14'43.6"E which is not very much further south than Jamgo's specimen from 94 km SE of Windorah (approx. 26°16'45.3"S 143°34'36.2"E). The extra 8' = about 13-14 km further south.

However, there are currently no specimens in the Qld Museum further south than the record east of Cockatoo (25°41'12.2"S 150°10'26.6"E), and THAT is the reason why I encouraged Jamgo to report his find to Patrick Couper at the QM.

Adding valuable, verified reports of specimen localities to Museum databases is an area where amateur reptile keepers can make meaningful contributions to our collective knowledge. It is not good enough for us to know that BHP's occasionally occur in Charleville - that knowledge helps nobody. Records need to be added to Museum databases. This is very important since it is these Museum records that are often relied up by consultants preparing "desktop" environmental impact statements ahead of development applications for example. Government also relies on these records when making environmental policy decisions.

Jamgo should add his record to the QM's database, and so too should anyone with data from other locations - such as Charleville.

Cheers

David

Your right boa, it is further south now that i checked the map, not considerably thou only slightly.
I know of a couple of people that have found bhps around charliville, theres also a herp book around, cant remeber which one, that has a pick of a bhp from charliville. Some one here must have it and can let us know which book its in.

Ray Tossers book has a pic of a so called charlie b/head.

Nice photo's mate, Windorah's a great place, I was only there for 1hour, couldn't breathe with out get a mouth full of flys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back