Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
In October, 2006, I went on a quick trip to far western New South Wales. While there, I spent a couple of nights at Mutawintji National Park. This park is located north of the Barrier Highway between Wilcannia and Broken Hill. Mutawintji is a beautiful park that protects rugged gorges some of which have permanent water. The park is home to a number of relict populations of animals more typical of the centre. Examples include Stimson's Python (Antaresia stimsoni), a recently discovered population of Centralian Rock Skink (Egernia margaretae), Freckled Monitor (Varanus tristis tristis), Tawny Rock-Dragon (Ctenophorus decresii) and New South Wales' only population of the endangered Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby. Mutawintji is also home to 12 species of geckos according to a sign at the visitor's centre. An excellent online paper about the reptiles of the park may be found at http://www.rzsnsw.org.au/AZJun05 trial/Swan&Foster.pdf.

The park has a good campground complete with showers. The trail systems are well marked.

Here are a few habitat shots.
... the gorge country, with water in places:
habitat13.jpg

habitat1.jpg

habitat4.jpg

habitat5.jpg

habitat6.jpg

habitat7.jpg

... dry creek bed
habitat15.jpg

... mulga flats
habitat9.jpg

habitat12.jpg

I had good success while at Mutawintji and took a number of photos.

Gibber Gecko (Diplodactylus byrnei). This was the first Gibber Gecko that I had ever encountered. It really was a nicely patterned gecko.
byrnei1.jpg

... cleaning its eye
byrnei2.jpg

Box-patterned Gecko (Diplodactylus steindachneri)
Boxpatterned3.jpg

Boxpatterned4.jpg

boxpatterned2.jpg

Gehyra variegata
gehyra1.jpg

dtella3.jpg

Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko (Nephrurus levis levis). A tick is visible on its chin. I found this gecko by chance when I was turning the car around on a mulga flat:
levislevis1.jpg

levislevis2.jpg

levislevis3.jpg

Beaked Gecko (Rhynchoedura ornata). These were a common species.
beaked1.jpg

beaked5.jpg

Northern Spiny-tailed Gecko (Strophurus ciliaris)
NorthernSpinyTailedGecko1.jpg

Thick-tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus [Nephrurus] milii). This race seems more brightly coloured than those from the Warrumbungles.
thicktailed1.jpg

thicktailed2.jpg

... a juvenile
thicktailed5.jpg

Ctenotus sp. Does anyone recognize this species? It was large and lived along a dry creek bed. I think that it may be a very pale Eastern Striped Skink (C. robustus) but am not certain. It was shy and this was the only pic that I was able to take.
ctenotus1.jpg

Cryptoblepharus sp.
cryptoblepharus1.jpg

Tree Skink (Egernia striolata)
tree1.jpg

Morethia boulengeri
morethia.jpg

Shingleback (Tiliqua rugosa)

... near Wilcannia
Shingleback1.jpg

... Mutawintji
Shingleback3.jpg

Tawny Rock Dragon (Ctenophorus decresii). This species has a limited distribution in New South Wale. Tawny Dragons were a beautiful species that were common on rocky outcrops in the park. Here was the typical habitat where these dragons could be seen.
habitat14.jpg

tawny9.jpg

tawny13.jpg

... female in the foreground, male in the background
tawny4.jpg

... nicely marked male
tawny8.jpg

Central Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps)
CentralBearded1.jpg

Tympanocryptis tetraporiphora
tympanocryptis1.jpg

Gould's Monitor (Varanus gouldii)
SandGoanna2.jpg

sandGoanna3.jpg

Curl Snake (Suta suta). This was the only snake that I found in the park.
Curl1.jpg

It would be nice to see this park when it was not so dry and also when the feral goat population had been reduced. These animals were present in plague proportions and even strolled through the campground in the morning. They must do an incredible amount of damage to the native plants.

Regards,
David

Thanks again david, great pics of an awesome place.
The pair of Tawny Rock Dragon on the rocks is a very cool shot and the sandy looks fat and healthy.
Do you remove ticks at all or leave them on?

Thanks for the pics david, been wanting to see NSW tawny's for a while now but could only find pics of SA animals

Top pics as always David, you got a great variety of lizards.
How'd you get a good shot of that Cryptoblepharus skink, the damn things never sit still for me ;)

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

ssssnakeman,
No, I did not remove the tick and actually, I did not even notice it at night. I only saw it later in the photos. The goannas did look nice and healthy despite the drought conditions.

jordo,
I know what you mean about Cryptoblepharus. They often are so wary.

Regards,
David

gday david

cool pics as usual. the goats just trash the place.they leave nothing untouched. we were out at Currawinya np and they are everywhere out there.they literally push trees and shrubs over to eat and eat it until there is nothing left.

Love every single one of your shots.

Glad to see you had a great time in that gorgeous environment :D

Hey Moloch

the population of Egernia margaretae has recently been reclassified as egernia whitii

nice pictures
love the ciliaris

Nathan

Thanks again for the comments. I am glad that the photos are enjoyed -- I had great fun taking them.

nathancl,
Do you have a reference that I view? I did a quick but not thorough search and did not find the merge article. I did see this from 2002 where Egernia margaretae was considered distinct. Where the other montane relatives merged with E. whitii as well?

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/ZO01065.htm

Regards,
David

Great Pictures David ,fantastic Geckos.Does anyone go shooting out that way,are they allowed to shoot feral goats there.Sounds like a good job for Aps hunters (past thread by others). Im sure spring time there would be a sight with all the wild flowers coming up. Thanx for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back