• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pig-Nosed Turtles (Carettochelys insculpta)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.pristis

Reaction score
Scientific Name

Common Name Pig-Nosed Turtle

Size approx 100gm & 210gm

Quantity Available 2

Bred By Greg Miles (1 year old from very last batch)

General Description A very rare opportunity to obtain the ultimate pinnacle of freshwater turtle species, the Pig-Nosed Turtle (Carettochelys insculpta). If you follow the forums you will know how rare it is to see one of these turtles listed. I have two perfect specimens presently available that are both progeny bred by Greg Miles. The first is a one year old (approx 100 gm) and the second is two years old (approx 210gm). They are $1200.00 and $1500.00 respectively or alternately I would be prepared to swap for large individuals that are too big for typical domestic housing and I can give them great care. Freight and packing to major city centres included in cost. Applicants must have appropriate licences etc.. The 1 year old is from the very last clutch Greg ever produced prior to de-accessing his breeding population. These are not only the most amazing and unique freshwater turtle available, they also require disciplined husbandry practices. Whilst I do not agree 100% with a large amount of the literature I have read about this species based on my own husbandry experience, particularly with reference to temperature constraints, I do believe that they require excellent water quality if you are to be successful and maintain healthy animals, otherwise they are very easy. I keep my turtles outside in a pond situation (2000 liter polyethylene container) in North Queensland right through winter and they experience water temperatures as low as 21.5 degrees C for months at a time. This is consistent with Greg Miles findings (he has kept them at even lower temps but that scares me!). In fact I have had my greatest growth spurts when the turtles have had cool temperatures (24 degrees C) through the night and warm temps through the day. However, my water quality is exceptional. I run UV sterilisers as well as Ozone and excessive biological filtration complimented by occasional water testing and water changes (this is likely over the top but UV is great). I run a pH of 7.5 and a hardness of 300ppm achieved through substantial addition of coral rubble in the bio-filter (can supply also). If you are good at keeping fish and understand water quality than you can keep Pig Nosed Turtles. Do not respond to this advert if you are not prepared and able to dedicate capacity and effort to look after these animals. You will have to describe your holding facilities and long term commitment to the animals before I will agree to release animals to your care. If you are up to the challenge and want to experience the ultimate freshwater turtle species that will repay you with a level of interaction like no other species, get in quick…. but please consider the implications of committing to this species, it should not be on a whim. Please consider the following websites for general information about Pig Nosed turtles prior to contacting me. No time wasters, prices are firm.
http://www.carettochelys.com/carettochelys/behavior.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-fly_river_turtle.htm
http://www.carettochelys.com/literature/caret_husbandry_1.htm
Pictures attached are of the one year old animal.

Willing to Freight? Definitely, freight and packing is included to major capital cities, regional centres may have additional cost.

Contact Details please send me a PM

License Number (Required for NSW and SA Sellers) Will be provided upon application, buyers must have appropriate licenses

Attachments

• IMG_3457.JPG
    IMG_3457.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3489.JPG
    IMG_3489.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG