Planted Terrarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud_meister

Reaction score
So, I picked up a nice big 80cm x 45cm x 80cm terrarium today, and I'm pretty set on putting a Common Tree Snake in it, but I'd like to plant it up.

I'd like a big display like an Elephant Ear (alocasia brisbanensis) however, I know they're poisonous and probably wouldn't be a good choice, I was also thinking of planting Bracken, but they're poisonous and carcinogenic, so I don't think I'll use that either.

What plants, native to north/northeast Australia could I use that wouldn't be bad for the snake and would grow in a terrarium that are kinda like the afore-mentioned plants?

(In addition to plants, I'll also have sticks and fake vines and such for the snake, but plants would give additional hiding places that would make it more fun for it)

Here's the terrarium:
WP_001305.jpg

The water bowl is plastic, coated in paint-on terracotta, I'm quite proud of that feature. :D[h=1][/h]

Bromeliad

Cryptanthus colgagnoi

Cryptanthus microglazioui

Guzmania theresae

Cryptanthus 'red star'. not necessarily native but do well in vivs

So, I went to Bunnings to day to get started on the set-up, there's gravel for drainage down the bottom, and a mix of potting mix and coir mulch for the substrate. I've planted a Parlour Palm, Maidenhair Fern and a Moses In The Cradle. I'll put in a UV bulb in the top right corner, and a ceramic heat lamp in the top left, and add in three hides, a cool hide, warm hide and tree hide. I've also got five bromeliads on the way from Ebay to put around the place (I'm thinking of securing pots to the background).

Here's a pic:

View attachment 294511

Any suggestions for improvements, or have I stuffed up in any way?

What are you using the UVB bulb for? If it is the plants I would suggest just buying a cheap 6500k bulb or growlux, plants do not required UVB to grow.

Rick

What are you using the UVB bulb for? If it is the plants I would suggest just buying a cheap 6500k bulb or growlux, plants do not required UVB to grow.

Rick

I didn't say UVB ;) Would a normal flourescent lightbulb put out enough UV for the plants to grow?

I didn't say UVB ;) Would a normal flourescent light put out enough UV for the plants to grow?

Not uv, just light in general. It if was me I would install a 6500k led tube, will last forever and put out a great amount of light.

Rick

Last edited:
So, I'm getting the snake tomorrow, here's the finished setup:

IMG_0473.jpg

Looking good. Lots of places for the snake to hide but still keep an eye on you from.

One thing - just be really careful that the snake can't get inside the light cage. I know of several people who have had their CTS trapped inside them and (fatally) overheated.

What type (colour phase, age, etc) of CTS did you end up getting?

Looking good. Lots of places for the snake to hide but still keep an eye on you from.

One thing - just be really careful that the snake can't get inside the light cage. I know of several people who have had their CTS trapped inside them and (fatally) overheated.

Thanks for that, there was a gap enough for the snake to possibly get through at the top, I've blocked it off now.

What type (colour phase, age, etc) of CTS did you end up getting?

She's around 4 years old,a nice gold colour. Answers to the name Kermette (the frog eater), I was gonna call him Kermit, but he turned out to be a she.

WP_001345.jpg

I was going to suggest Taro (Colocasia esculenta) as a safe replacement for elephant ear. Loves wet feet, tolerates surprisingly low light levels and is safe (in fact edible), also comes in a nice red form. Bit too late now I suppose.

Nice snake too!

Here's one I found feeding on rainbow fish in a little artificial creek at the Jabiru Croc Hotel.

DSC_0350_edited-1.jpg

I was going to suggest Taro (Colocasia esculenta) as a safe replacement for elephant ear. Loves wet feet, tolerates surprisingly low light levels and is safe (in fact edible), also comes in a nice red form. Bit too late now I suppose.

I'm certain I'll kill some of the plants, so I'll keep that in mind for replacement.
Nice snake too!

Here's one I found feeding on rainbow fish in a little artificial creek at the Jabiru Croc Hotel.

View attachment 294856

They're beautiful snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back