Please help? Heating/red light question. I’m stressed haha

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickiG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to set up the heating for my enclosure before my snake arrives but I’m having trouble and am stressing about it. She will be roughly 4mo, childrens python.

She will be in a 7.9L click clack with aspen, leaves and two hides and a water dish.

At first I got a heat mat, last night I set the enclosure up and the table she will sit on.
At 10pm, after sitting for a while, the temp read 26.8.

At 7am today it was 22.9 at 53% humidity.

At 5:30pm it was 31.1 49%, it was also a top 24° today and our house isn’t well insulated as it very cold or hot depending on the temp.

But I’m not sure this is adequate and I’m not sure of the ambient temp as I didn’t have a thermometer until after work, which read slightly cooler after sitting in there for a bit tonight.

So I got what I thought was an infrared light, however, it has red light. It’s a heat light dipped in red stuff? It was warms the tank adequately, but I don’t really like the red light it gives off as quite bright.

I think the bigger heat mats would have been too big and they’re roughly the same size and both my current options will need close monitoring. so now I don’t know what to do lol

I do also have the option of a heat mat + a rack system style set up but the lighting will be quite dull as it’s a shelf compartment in the table it’s on.

Please help!

as it's only 4mo you should use the rack you have as it sounds like the other stuff is problematic, Yes red lights are sh1te.
The light is not as important as the heat

as it's only 4mo you should use the rack you have as it sounds like the other stuff is problematic, Yes red lights are sh1te.
The light is not as important as the heat
I think I will, I’ve had it like that over night and today and it seems steady. The heat mat, under the hide, had been steady, 28.7-30.5. But the ambient temp is about 20°, both mid enclosure and warm end. Are mats meant to heat the enclosure or just the snake?

I think I will, I’ve had it like that over night and today and it seems steady. The heat mat, under the hide, had been steady, 28.7-30.5. But the ambient temp is about 20°, both mid enclosure and warm end. Are mats meant to heat the enclosure or just the snake?
well it's a bit of both really, it heats the enclosure so the snake can take advantage of the warm area

Latest posts

Back