Please help me identify snake specie!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornubiaGirl

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site. I love in Cornubia QLD and was doing some hedging in the pool yard and when sweeping up came across this skin. What snake could this be? I have 3 dogs and am VERY concerned. This is as close as I could get. I’d appreciate any help!
[automerge]1610534606[/automerge]
A closer picture

Attachments

• CB415185-B0C7-4CDF-BF39-B0DC80F6F526.jpeg
    CB415185-B0C7-4CDF-BF39-B0DC80F6F526.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 569C85EE-6E7A-4B72-8987-EB5030DA54C3.jpeg
    569C85EE-6E7A-4B72-8987-EB5030DA54C3.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It's difficult to ID a snake based on its shed, especially if it is not in tact. Are you able to get a photo of the head of the skin and/or a shot of the underside and tail?
Given you're near the bush land of Mt Cotton and Venman / Kimberly parks it could be a number of different snakes. Have a look at https://goldcoastsnakecatcher.com/snake-identification
I live in Banora Point, we are near water with a rock wall in our back yard and we find keelbacks out and about a lot, but this time of year it really could be any number of snakes.
If you can get a better photo of the skin, post it here and i'm sure a number of folks will have a pretty good idea what it could be.
If you see the snake in your yard give it space, try to get a decent photo of it (from a safe place) and call in one of the snake catchers in the area (I recommend Tony at Gold Coast Snake Catchers - he's up your end of the Coast) but any reputable and licensed snake catcher will do.

It looks like a Red-bellied Black Snake, but it's difficult to be certain without more detail. The head and underside of the tail make it easy.

Red-bellied Black Snakes are pretty safe to have around as long as you don't attack them, stand on them, or be a frog. Even if people accidentally stand on them they usually don't bite. If your dogs don't attack the snake, the snake isn't going to attack your dogs. Bites are fairly painful but I'm not sure if there are any records of one killing an adult, and for memory only one or two children many many years ago. They're quite beautiful snakes and lovely to have around as long as you don't want to hurt them and are not a frog. Definitely don't be a frog near one.

What would help a lot is if you could take a piece of the shed from the middle of the body and cut straight along the midline with scissors, then open it out flat and take a photo, so that an accurate scale count around the midbody can be done. It would be best to make the cut on the dorsal surface so the ventral scales are shown intact, as this is also helpful. The other thing that would assist in an ID is a idea of the total length of the shed.

Photos of the head and underside of the tail were mentioned. This needs a little further clarification. The underside of the tail should be from the anal opening back. The head should be photographed from two angles. The top of the head, including just a little bit of the neck, and also the side of head, such that the scales from the nostril to the eye can be seen clearly.

From the obviously limited information available, it looks to me that it could be a common tree snake. The reason I say this this is that if the slough is not folded underneath, then it has a quite a small number of mid-body scales. It also appears that the was travelling above ground, through the fronds of the cycad, whilst it was shedding. This is more typical of tree snakes than your primarily terrestrial species. However, without further corroborating evidence I would not rely too heavily on the foregoing. The low scale count (if that is the case) could equally indicate a common yellow-faced whipsnake.

@Sdaji, what you say about the toxicity of RBB snakes on humans is correct. There is one possible record of a child’s death, that was gleaned from an obituary notice in an early 1900’s newspaper. This blamed the death on a “black snake”. However, it simply is not possible to verify the correctness of that ID and it may be that it was dark toned snake that appeared back in the emotion of the moment. There are plenty of police reports to verify that people under emotional stress are not good at accurately remembering colours.

That aside, with respect to dogs, RBB venom is particularly potent (even more so than the venom of brown snakes). It is just one of those peculiarities of nature. A bit like humans being so susceptible to the venom of Funnel Web spiders. Their venom is basically designed to kill invertebrates and is not lethal to most vertebrates, primates being the exception. Many breeds of dog are protective their family territory and will attack any sizeable intruder. So generally speaking, RBB’s and dogs are not a good mix.

Latest posts

Back