Please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyP

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
New to snakes. Got my first, a nine month old coastal carpet two weeks ago and my second, a 3 year old coastal (same seller) last night.
I have noticed she (the 3 year old) seems to have some injuries.
Any idea if this is in fact an injury of some sort or is it mites?
Any home treatments? Or straight to the vet? Her (I’m assuming, seller didn’t know) also seems to have her mouth partially open as though it’s swollen

Attachments

• 4269E33F-1E46-4466-AB28-0900AF83AC8D.png
    4269E33F-1E46-4466-AB28-0900AF83AC8D.png
    616.4 KB · Views: 132
Hi MissyP
Can't tell from pic, Realy need to see inside her mouth. Personaly , i would clean her enclosure thoroughly, and take her to a vet. I would also question the seller about it. If she was already injured , they should have told you ??? Good luck.

Hi MissyP
Can't tell from pic, Realy need to see inside her mouth. Personaly , i would clean her enclosure thoroughly, and take her to a vet. I would also question the seller about it. If she was already injured , they should have told you ??? Good luck.
Her tank was freshly clean when I put her in last night. This mark was already there. As I said I bought a 9 month old from him a couple of weeks ago, who I believe may be small for its age. He didn’t know gender and openly said I didn’t need a reptile licence (which I’d already obtained prior to picking it up) because “they don’t check” he seemed very dodgy.
so when I saw another snake listed by him I had to get it, for its safety. We did discuss wild house mice and he mentioned he gets a lot and currently had a large rat in his house somewhere and he’d let his big snake (the one I’m asking about) out to catch it.
so I’m assuming it’s injuries from such an event as she also has marks along her body and what looks like an old scar.
effectively I’ve rescued her from an irresponsible owner and am trying to assure I get her help ASAP. In the mean time I thought I’d try here

so you got a reptile license, but did you put the animal on your license? assuming he doesnt have one, how did you manage that? the injury looks like its rubbed its face on mesh or something rough

so you got a reptile license, but did you put the animal on your license? assuming he doesnt have one, how did you manage that? the injury looks like its rubbed its face on mesh or something rough
I’ve added the acquisition to my online record book. Will be contacting them to discuss movement notice

Sounds like you did the right thing by rescuing the animals. Well done. Whoever you got them off, should be reported to the authorities. I would get it checked by a vet asap, just in case.
I have kept his details and will be doing this. I’ve spoken to a friend and they seem to think when I report him I may have to surrender the snakes. I certainly hope not ?

I have kept his details and will be doing this. I’ve spoken to a friend and they seem to think when I report him I may have to surrender the snakes. I certainly hope not
This is the most likely outcome sadly, as there will be no way to prove the snake isnt wild caught. Sadly breeders not asking for license numbers is becoming more and more common as they realise just how flawed the system is

Person A with license knowingly sells to person B with no license
Person A claims Animal passed away due to ongoing health issues

Department has no way to know otherwise, why would they check person B if they have no license and never claimed the snake?

Very bad

Unfortunatly your probably right, but don't give up just yet. If you do report someone, you can remain anonymous. But that is the risk you take. Im not going to advise anyone to break the law , even a stupid one.
But you don't have to say anything either. Best of luck .

Hi everyone.
New to snakes. Got my first, a nine month old coastal carpet two weeks ago and my second, a 3 year old coastal (same seller) last night.
I have noticed she (the 3 year old) seems to have some injuries.
Any idea if this is in fact an injury of some sort or is it mites?
Any home treatments? Or straight to the vet? Her (I’m assuming, seller didn’t know) also seems to have her mouth partially open as though it’s swollen
skin infection from dirty enclosure or from humidity and open mouth breathing could be respiratory infection. any other symptoms? snakes are so good at hiding there sickness, leaving an infection untreated can lead to septic and neurological damage leading to death. take him to a vet asap.

Latest posts

Back