Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Stripey

Reaction score
Hello

There were reports of "Yellow Bellied Black Snakes" In my area but there is no such thing. Then i happened to stumble across the closest thing to fit that description. I thought it was just another type of brown snake but someone told me last night they think not.

So herp mad pplz help me out and ID my snake if you can. Im not letting on what the other person said it was as cos you all might say the same thing :p

The snake is located in the top end of the Northern Territory.

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• IMGP4954_edited.jpg
    IMGP4954_edited.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 329
looks like a Western Brown Snake......theres a good chance it may have had one or two black scales on the back of its neck which is pretty normal for these snakes in the Top End. They are however a very variable species and come in a variety of colours and patterns.

not very experienced with venomous snake ID but looks like a taipan to me...anyone else with more experience????

Its head is a bit blury, but Id say a Mulga.
Next time get a bit closer for the ID pic :p

"Yellow-bellied black snakes"... I've read somewhere that dark coloured green tree snakes are often mistaken as those.

Western Brown.

Why do people who have absolutely no idea as to the ID of a particular snake feel like they need to throw around snake names?
If you dont know, dont guess.

Ads

"Yellow-bellied black snakes"... I've read somewhere that dark coloured green tree snakes are often mistaken as those.

Just yesterday my boss told me of how he had a close encounter with a yellow-bellied black snake :lol: it was in a tree he was walking past in his yard, i was glad to hear the snake got away unharmed :)

If you dont know what it is then dont say, your confusing this poor person!:)
Western Brown, def. not a Mulga, wrong head structure

In your area, "Yellow Bellied Black snake" is probably a term used for Water Pythons by unknowing people. It's a term used by unknowing people all over Australia to describe a variety of snakes that are dark and have a yellowish belly. Down south the term is often used for Copperheads.

In the Sydney area the 'Yellow Bellied Black Snake' invariably turns out to be a Diamond Python in my experience, but I know that on occasion it can also relate to Green Tree Snakes and even Red Bellies.

I agree with an earlier poster - this description and the snake that it applies to is going to depend upon area.

So the only thing for certain is that when someone says that they saw a Yellow Bellied Black Snake then they dont know as much about snakes as they think they do!

In the Townsville area our common tree snakes are very dark with yellow bellies also and attract the "yellow bellied black snake" title. Most people are sorely disappointed when i inform them the "monster that has terrorised them" is harmless.

bekaspictures024.jpg

How dare people say yellow bellied black snakes aren't real! Look at the pic, Yellow Bellied Black Snake, Notechis Ater, der... I'm going with Western Brown, too far north to be Feirce

nuchalis most probably the animal your looking at but that would depend on how far top end you are, there are other species of Pseudonaja that occur in the northern parts of NT, ingrami or possibly guttata. One things for sure its a Pseudonaja.

Thanks m.punja....looks like we have finally found the true Yellow Bellied Black Snake...well chocolate brown....close enough!

heheheh i dont think your snake likes being in a garbage bin LOL. Is that a tiger???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back