Police race anti-venom to victim

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probaly a stupid question, but how do they know what anti venom to use if they dont know what snake it was? I thought it would be a different anti venom for each breed? :oops:

Unidentified bites are determined with the VDK (as mentioned above), there is also a polyvalent antivenom which is effective against most of the medically significant genera.

If the species proves to be P. textilis, there is a very worrying trend starting to form here. For some unknown reason, people envenomated by P. textilis primarily from Qld, tend to respond poorly to antivenom therapy when compared to treatment stats for Vic or NSW. There may be a cryptic species involved here? Another explanation could be that P. textilis from some Qld populations are feeding on a particular (different) kind of prey that has resulted in some molecular change in the venom, and thus the antivenom doesn't bind as effectively.
Certainly an area that needs to be investigated.
Cheers all.

^^^ Thanks for the replies.......but i havent looked into anything about anti venom etc, so i have no idea what you both have said! :oops: Im guessing though that you both have said that it doesnt matter if the snake is unknown, there is still anti venom that works?

Thanks Vegaz, i had posted before i read your reply. Would the vdk show what snake it was though?

^^^ Thanks for the replies.......but i havent looked into anything about anti venom etc, so i have no idea what you both have said! :oops: Im guessing though that you both have said that it doesnt matter if the snake is unknown, there is still anti venom that works?

Pretty much Bel.

Polyvalent AV is basically lots of different types of AV all mixed up into the one vial, hence the name POLYvalent. As opposed to MONOvalent AV which is made to work most effectively on one type of venom.

textillis seem to do well here in SE Qld.

A magnificent specimen was mutilated by the local heroes right before my eyes recently, it appeared to be near 6 ft. if not over

shame on me but I'm not a venomous snake catcher :(

Hey Gordo,
This is actually the project I'm currently working on. I have accessed hospital records from across eastern Australia, and this is where I noticed a trend.

For example, around this time last year, there were 2 fatalities in SE Qld from textilis bites. What was probably the most disturbing aspect is one of the victims died 5 days after treatment. In another case, mid-coast Qld, one victim received a record 17 ampoules of mono AV.

When the paper is in draft form, I'm more than happy to email you a copy.

All the Best.

That would be great vegez, i appreciate the offer. It's good to know the DSE and parks authorities are working with you on this one :rolleyes:

Terrible sad news that the woman past away. I would hope this helps somehow, maybe an inquest or simular as to why a hospital would only have one vile of anti venom and the snake was not identified through vdk or blood or urine sample.

Doesn't seem right, could just be a bad media report though.

And why does everyone hate DSE and parks - you should be helped out instead of getting in bloody trouble! I have a limited knowledge on the subject, but has the QLD variant developed / evolved to have a immunity to the cane toad, and as suched changed their venom,or is it something else?

Hmmm,
I'm moving to Warwick today, best I update my first aid skills and first aid box.

Just because you will live in the same town that a woman recived a fatal bite, does not increses your risk of being biten.
wonderful idea though to brush up on snake bite first aid and keep a few broad bandages with you as not one australian has died from a elapid envenomation that has applied correct first aid.

Goodluck with your move

I like AVRU snakebite 1st aid instructions .. print it out and learn it and practice bandaging ... could save a life or buy you time

ever tried to apply a bandage when you panicking ? if you're a confident bandager then you're better off

Terrible sad news that the woman past away. I would hope this helps somehow, maybe an inquest or simular as to why a hospital would only have one vile of anti venom and the snake was not identified through vdk or blood or urine sample.

Doesn't seem right, could just be a bad media report though.

Antivenom is quite expensive and it has a reasonably short shelf life

Usually antivenom can only be administered if the hospital has an ICU

I didn't know that anti venom could only be given if ICU was avalible, I always thought that only the pressure bandage could not be removed with out ressusitation gear, and that addrenline had to be drawn up as anaphalactic shock from equine by product was high.

I've learnt something new today.

Unidentified bites are determined with the VDK (as mentioned above), there is also a polyvalent antivenom which is effective against most of the medically significant genera.

If the species proves to be P. textilis, there is a very worrying trend starting to form here. For some unknown reason, people envenomated by P. textilis primarily from Qld, tend to respond poorly to antivenom therapy when compared to treatment stats for Vic or NSW. There may be a cryptic species involved here? Another explanation could be that P. textilis from some Qld populations are feeding on a particular (different) kind of prey that has resulted in some molecular change in the venom, and thus the antivenom doesn't bind as effectively.
Certainly an area that needs to be investigated.
Cheers all.

All bites are identified with a VDK, regardless of whether the species is known or not.

It's interesting to hear that SE QLD P.textilis bites don't respond as well to antivenom as other localities. It's no secret that SE QLD P.textilis are generally considerably more venomous than southern animals, but SE QLD animals are on the antivenom program at ARP and therefore whatever components are in their venom would be represented in the appropriate antivenom. I know there was a situation that was blown out of proportion with regards to P.affinis responding poorly to antivenom a couple of years ago.

17 vials of antivenom screams doctor incompetence, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back