polystyrene sheets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nir.n

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm about to start my first background project and i was able to collect different pieces of polystyrene but i couldnt find any plain sheets. I looked for them online and they cost way more than i expected.
I asked people and shops but all i could get were box pieces and packaging pieces.
Are there any specific shops that give those sheets as trash?
Is there any way of getting them without paying 30$ a piece?
Btw, what grade and thickness is recommended for a background?

Thanks in advanced!

White goods sellers such as Good Guys and Joyce Mayne. Look in their dumster bins.

White goods sellers such as Good Guys and Joyce Mayne. Look in their dumster bins.
This is a good idea, You could always ask them if they have some out back too.
I actually picked up a couple of sheets today, from a building site up the road!

From what I remember Clarke Rubber cost a fortune, you could buy a new microwave for the same price and use the foam from that! haha

Yeah, free is much cheaper than Clarke Rubber. There are also Sign Writers and building supplies that will sell stuff like that too, but again it'll cost you. You should be able to find Polystyrene (2400 x 1200 x 25) for about $8.

Yeah, free is much cheaper than Clarke Rubber. There are also Sign Writers and building supplies that will sell stuff like that too, but again it'll cost you. You should be able to find Polystyrene (2400 x 1200 x 25) for about $8.
Where have you seen them sheets for sale at that price? $8 is well worth it!

You want to go to a furniture store not white goods, ive picked up seems from between 10-75mm from furniture stores when they pull stuff out of the box for display. White goods normally only have 10mm foam on them.

Rick

Try Buybuildingsupplies.com.au, if you have a local depot they can be good. [MENTION=34564]Native_EWD[/MENTION]

Look up your nearest polystyrene manufacturer/supplier. We get 20mm pieces from our guy, usually in sizes we can either cut to size or use straight up. Sometimes he has left over or "seconds" pieces. Picked up 5 sheets last time for $20 that he actually cut for us from a leftover block he had there.

Try insulation places. Can't remember what I paid last time but for me it wasn't worth the hassle of chasing freebies when for a reasonable cost I bought a large clean sheet.

Why not build yourself a background out of expading foam on a peg board?

From $7 a can at Bunnings, it is way cheaper than buying some ready made panel for up to $99

I don't know the OP's financial situation nor the size of the background that they require so I merely made a suggestion.:)

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions! I called anyone I could find around, polystyrene stores, insulation stores, the cheapest offer I got was 20 per 20mm sheet and 23.5 per 25mm sheet (which one is better btw?). I know its not very expensive but I still think its too expensive...
Ill have to keep looking and if I wont find anything better Ill just get it for 20.
If anyone know where I can get some polystyrene around melbourne please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Did you ask these places if they had any seconds or "off-cuts"? As I said above I paid $20 for 5 sheets app. 1200 long.

Not sure where you are located but I pay $11 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet 20mm thickness at Redhead foamworx in Newcastle. And he cuts it to whatever size you want.
Also he has bags of offcuts for pretty much nothing.

I got all of mine for free from buy/swap/sell sites on Facebook. Just post a wanted ad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back