Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonedSquirtlee

Reaction score
Hey Guys, first time poster, long time reader.
I got an Albino Darwin, beautiful little fella. I'll list out the enclosure and temps and stuff first to stop anyone "not enough information, don't know blah blah"
Enclosure:
80hX90wX60d (it came with him, I know I need a new one as he's almost 8ft long, big boy is big)
Heat Globe now at 75w, he did have 100w from previous owner to which I discovered burns, changed bulbs and told the previous owner so he could make the same modifications.
Built in Roof-Hide
Built in Water Bowl
Aspen Substrate changed from normal bunnings bark from previous owner(honestly this guy had like no idea how to care for him, anyway..)
Temps:
Bulb temp 35°C
Branch temp 32°C-33°C
Floor Temp under bulb 31°C-32°C
Cold side 27°C-29°C
Maintanence:
Spot Checks daily especially after food, waiting for the Poop, removed asap.
Water Changed weekly, topped up when required throughout the week.
Perfect sheds every time, removed asap.
I'll attach a few images of him in the enclosure.

Anyway, I haven't had much time to handle him lately so he went 2 months almost with 2-3 handles now I'm all good to handle him a bit every other day.
I hook train, stroke him with the hook and get him out with the hook before using my hands to give him some unfiltered sun-time.
The last couple times I've opened his cage and done the hook thing he's hissed at me. Sometimes for 10seconds straight, he tried the flee up the wall on one occasion but I had to get him out into the secondary enclosure for deep clean, substrate change with Poop and water change/removal. Every time the last couple times after the hiatus of non-handling he's done the hiss, moved away, curled his tail tip on some decor (to which I just stop moving and let him relax) but once he's out he's fine, moves all around me up my shirt around my arms, sometimes nestles in my arm pit as it's a similar smell. I trained him to recognise my scent with the hook, touch the armpit, touch the hook "oh its handling time" I feed in house because feedung tubs are ridiculous and idiotic imo. This is my first snake, I got him Late January, fussy eating at first but was fine after he got comfortable, his comfortable was not in his hide 24/7 but on the floor or branch

Back to the question at hand, RI hiss or Cage-Defensive. Pretty sure it's just defensiveness especially with Winter approaching but wanted a second opinion.
His favourite areas are back right corner, branch, back left corner.

Disclaimer: Not the first reptile I've been around. Helped raise a Coastal and Lace Monitor of my friends, the lacey, likes to climb over us while we play video games.

Also!! If anyone could verify the heritage by sight. I feel like he's not a pure Darwin Albino but might have a bit of jungle in there or something.
Thanks guys!!

I know it's a bit of a read just wanted a second opinion. 10 people have read this, cmon guys thought it was supposed to be a helpful supporting community

Attachments

• 20220127_155310.jpg
    20220127_155310.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220126_070406.jpg
    20220126_070406.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220129_083714.jpg
    20220129_083714.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220403_103428.jpg
    20220403_103428.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220212_165153.jpg
    20220212_165153.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 29
It’s a standard albino darwin
Not 8ft 😆 maybe 5-6ft

RI would be accompanied with mucus in their mouth

It’s a standard albino darwin
Not 8ft 😆 maybe 5-6ft
He about 220-240cm between 7-8ft I've used image 4 gauge his length because I can never get him lined to properly measure. I've also measured him multiple time in his enclosure usually after I put him back in and he does those long stretches and on average though he's about that 220-240 mark

Thanks for the response though, there's been no mucus so I was pretty sure it was just defensiveness.

@Herpetology By calling him a "Standard Albino Darwin" is that your way saying he isn't crossed with anything. His previous owner said both parents were Darwins and I would love to breed a clutch of pure darwins. I know it's probably hard to tell as he's an Albino but just thought I'd ask and see what people say.

Last edited:
Damn he's alot smaller than I thought. I thought he was specially large :(
Thank you for the link though. It's now favourites for future reference.

I’d be confident in saying he’s pure darwin
Sorry to sound dumb but what makes you say that. Just the pattern or key features in the pattern etc

Last edited:
My male doesn't have the yellow on his head and the bands are much more solid which is why I questioned his purity.
Is that just thing with Albino Darwins? Some have yellow head some don't or does one of our males have something else in the bloodline.
it dpeends on the parents

stop obsessing over "it might have something else" not much u can do if your breeder told you thats what it is

some pure darwins have almost no yellow, or no white

Back